1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision help

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    Two blocks are free to slide along a frictionless wooden track. A block of mass m1=5 kg is released from point A. Protruding from its front end is the north pole of a strong magnet, repelling the north pole of an identical magnet embedded in the back end of the block of mass m2=10 kg, initially at rest. The two blocks never touch. Calculate the maximum height to which m1 rises after the elastic collsion.

m1 is initially at a height of 5 meters. I don't know what equation to use for this problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Assume convservation of energy.

Balance momemtum before and after impact.
    Balance kinetic energy before and after impact.
  4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    There must be some sort of diagram that goes with this? I believe there is information missing here.

Edit: Though I guess if you work to make the problem meaningful, conservation of energy will make most other information unnecessary.
  5. Oct 17, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Yeh, I would figure that it is a (vertically) circular track, since m1 has a height and the question asks for a final height.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?