Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Collision help

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    Two blocks are free to slide along a frictionless wooden track. A block of mass m1=5 kg is released from point A. Protruding from its front end is the north pole of a strong magnet, repelling the north pole of an identical magnet embedded in the back end of the block of mass m2=10 kg, initially at rest. The two blocks never touch. Calculate the maximum height to which m1 rises after the elastic collsion.

m1 is initially at a height of 5 meters. I don't know what equation to use for this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

Assume convservation of energy.

Balance momemtum before and after impact.
    Balance kinetic energy before and after impact.

4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    There must be some sort of diagram that goes with this? I believe there is information missing here.

Edit: Though I guess if you work to make the problem meaningful, conservation of energy will make most other information unnecessary.

5. Oct 17, 2006 #4

Fermat

Homework Helper

Yeh, I would figure that it is a (vertically) circular track, since m1 has a height and the question asks for a final height.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook