Collision. How is it possible?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, collision occurs when two objects come into contact with each other, resulting in a transfer of energy and a change in motion for both objects. This can happen due to various factors, such as velocity, mass, and direction of movement. In order for a collision to occur, the objects must have a force acting upon them, whether it is from an external source or from their own momentum. Collisions can be either elastic, where the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy, or inelastic, where some energy is lost in the collision. The study of collisions is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and traffic safety.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Plane B flies in a direct line at constant velocity Vb = 848 km/h. Above him, at a distance of 7.5 km/h flies airplane A. Airplane A flies at a constant velocity Va = 2050 km/h. It flies in a vertical pathway in an arch of the radius R equal 5 km.

In the drawing is described the initial position of both planes.

If both planes carry on flying as described in the question, will they collide?

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5315/planthingy.jpg

Solution Attempt
I don't get how it's possible for them to collide. One just flies in an arch, so I guess that means in a circular pathway, that means that plane A will be directly at point B while plane B will be waaaaaaaay off ahead

Like this:

Right?

Or am I misreading/mistranslating something?

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/8307/ababababa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Femme_physics said:
Right?

Or am I misreading/mistranslating something?
You are misreading something. In your second diagram, the paths do not even overlap. But in the first diagram, you can see that the horizontal path of plane B will intersect the semi-circle path of plane A. (The question is at what time will the paths overlap.)

No the question is "will they collide", not "at what time will they collide"

Just at a guess I'd say they will either collide or come quite close. You don't seem to understand the diagram. Plane B files slowly for a short distance and plane A flies a longer distance but at a higher speed and they meet up (or come close) at the point where their flight paths intersect, as clearly shown on the diagram (not on your diagram of course, which just illustrates your misunderstanding of the original diagram)

Femme_physics said:
No the question is "will they collide", not "at what time will they collide"
Your incorrect interpretation: Since the paths don't even intersect, how can they possibly collide?

Correct interpretation: Ah... the paths do intersect. Figure out at what time they overlap to see if the planes collide.

yes, although you should do the math to see whether it's kaboom or just WHOA that was a near miss.

phinds said:
yes, although you should do the math to see whether it's kaboom or just WHOA that was a near miss.

LOL great comment. Will do :wink:

Femme_physics said:
Now I have these formulas to relate angular velocity to distance:

Try the third on the left, with angular acceleration equal to zero.
(Careful here: the alpha in your formula table is angular acceleration, which is not your angle alpha.)

Femme_physics said:
But which angle do I use-- alpha or beta?

Try (beta + 90o).

Femme_physics said:
And...am I at the right track?

Yep. :smile:

Glad to see you everywhere! :)

I don't understand how to use this formula you suggested-- I mean, do I just plug in the value in degrees?

i.e.

120 = 0.114t

?

Femme_physics said:
Glad to see you everywhere! :)

I don't understand how to use this formula you suggested-- I mean, do I just plug in the value in degrees?

i.e.

120 = 0.114t

?

Same thing! :)

Usually we do everything in math and physics (all angles) in "radians".
Degrees is another unit for the same thing, so you have to convert.

180 degrees corresponds to [itex]\pi[/itex] radians.

Btw, you're not so much on the right track, but on the right trajectory! :wink:

Ah, thanks,

Solved it! :D

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1008/pipipiw.jpg

Since the distance difference between them is so small, I guess that means KABOOMAGA!
Btw, you're not so much on the right track, but on the right trajectory!
:rofl: :rofl: LOL brilliant!

Femme_physics said:
:rofl: :rofl: LOL brilliant!

Sorry, I take that back. You're on a bad trajectory, just because: KABOOMAGA! :wink:

Femme_physics said:
heh ;)

Shouldn't I use centripetal acceleration in this formula?

Or does it really stand for tangential acceleration?

Edited: It really stands for angular acceleration, which is similar to tangential acceleration.
(Tangential acceleration is not the same as angular acceleration - they differ by a factor R.)

Centripetal acceleration is quite another friend (which is radial).

Last edited:
I'm trying to find the difference in aerial position after 10 seconds.

I found out through this formula

delta alpha = omega x time +at^2/2

That delta alpha - 1.13889

Converting that to degrees that 65.25 degrees

Now I'm not sure where is that angle. Is it here?http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/149/angleangle.jpg

Good morning Femme_physics! :smile:

Angles are used in circular motion.
An angle is measured between the line from the center of the circle to the initial position, up to the line between the center of the circle and the final position.

So no, it is not where you have drawn it.Edit: Oh, and please avoid using alpha in this context, because you're using a formula that uses alpha (not "a") for angular acceleration, which is zero is this problem (and will be in most problems that are coming your way).

Last edited:
Femme_physics said:
Plane B flies in a direct line at constant velocity Vb = 848 km/h. Above him, at a distance of 7.5 km/h flies airplane A. Airplane A flies at a constant velocity Va = 2050 km/h. It flies in a vertical pathway in an arch of the radius R equal 5 km.
Just a note: If A flies at constant velocity it moves along a straight line, not along a circle. Its speed can be constant, instead.

ehild

Good morning ILS! :)

[quotes]An angle is measured between the line from the center of the circle to the initial position, up to the line between the center of the circle and the final position.
[/quote]

Ah, makes sense!

Edit: Oh, and please avoid using alpha in this context, because you're using a formula that uses alpha (not "a") for angular acceleration, that is zero is this problem (and most problems that are coming your way for now).

Check confirmed and affirmed :) Got it.Now they're asking me to find the distance in "aerial line" between the two planes after 10 seconds. Which distance do they want? This or that?

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6171/dissss.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Femme_physics said:
Now they're asking me to find the distance in "aerial line" between the two planes after 10 seconds. Which distance do they want? This or that?

That. :smile:

LOL! Left or right one, I mean?

Femme_physics said:
LOL! Left or right one, I mean?

Right! :smile:
(one I mean)

(text deleted)

Ah, I think I'm on to something then! Give me a moment :)

Solved.

5.3 km :)

Thanks!

1. What is a collision and how is it defined?

A collision is an event where two or more objects come into contact with each other. In science, it is defined as the moment when two or more particles or bodies interact with each other, resulting in a change in their momentum and/or energy.

2. How do collisions occur and what factors affect them?

Collisions can occur due to various reasons such as mechanical forces, gravitational forces, and electromagnetic forces. The factors that affect collisions include the mass, velocity, and direction of the objects involved, as well as the type of forces acting on them.

3. Can collisions be predicted and controlled?

Yes, collisions can be predicted and controlled to some extent. Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to predict the outcome of collisions. In addition, by adjusting the variables such as mass, velocity, and direction, collisions can be controlled to some degree.

4. How do collisions relate to the laws of motion?

Collisions are closely related to Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that objects will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law explains how the force applied to an object affects its acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which is evident in collisions.

5. What are the different types of collisions?

There are two types of collisions: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, meaning that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound, and the objects stick together after the collision.