1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision of 3 bodies

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    The floor is smooth. Y and Z are in contact. The mass of the balls are m,m and 2m as stated.
    Assume all collision is elastic, what are the velocity of the three balls after all collisions??

Now, Y and Z are reversed in position. At the time of collision, what would happen for the three balls in a mathematical explanation??
    If we view Y and Z as one object, then the two will experience same force but different velocity, in the equation, I just can't separate the different velocity out since Y and Z are treated as one!!!!!

HELP!!!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

To simplify this, you can pretend that the balls are slightly seperated form each other. First see what happens to balls X and Y after X hits Y. Then check what happens to Y and Z after Y hits Z. Then check if Y can now hit X. If so then calculate that collision and check if Y can now hit Z... , it will make things much easier if you first derive the general equation for 2 balls of different masses and velocities coliiding.

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    But they are in contact, are both of them experiencing F respectively at the moment of strike?

5. Apr 26, 2007 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

If the balls are perfectly rigid then yes, but that can never happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?