• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Collision of billiards

• Thread starter aatari
  • Start date
Could someone please have a look at my solution and tell me if it makes sense. Although I am able to get the initial velocity that the question asked for, however the fact that I did not incorporate the y-component which is 1.2sin30 degrees into the solution makes me doubtful. If I do need to use that into the solution, how would that fit in? Please help!

1. Homework Statement

A 0.50 kg cue ball makes a glancing blow to a stationary 0.50 kg billiard ball. After the collision the cue ball deflects with a speed of 1.2 m/s at an angle of 30.0° from its original path. Calculate the original speed of the cue ball if the billiard ball ends up travelling at 1.6 m/s.

2. Homework Equations

Pi = Pf

3. The Attempt at a Solution
20171014_232649[43448].jpg

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Could someone please have a look at my solution and tell me if it makes sense. Although I am able to get the initial velocity that the question asked for, however the fact that I did not incorporate the y-component which is 1.2sin30 degrees into the solution makes me doubtful. If I do need to use that into the solution, how would that fit in? Please help!

1. Homework Statement

A 0.50 kg cue ball makes a glancing blow to a stationary 0.50 kg billiard ball. After the collision the cue ball deflects with a speed of 1.2 m/s at an angle of 30.0° from its original path. Calculate the original speed of the cue ball if the billiard ball ends up travelling at 1.6 m/s.

2. Homework Equations

Pi = Pf

3. The Attempt at a Solution
View attachment 213143
In what direction do you think the second ball will go?