1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision of cballs of clay help

1. Mar 18, 2005 #1
    All of these problems are the last of a series of ten, which i cannot solve. Ive given extensive efforts but am now nearly out of time (12pm est). if anone could be of help please feel free.

A 20 g ball of clay traveling east at 2m/s collides with a 30 g ball of clay traveling 30 degrees south of west at 1m/s. what is the speed of the resulting blob, m/s?

Dan is gliding on his skateboard at 2.00m/s. He suddenly jumps backward off the skateboard, kicking the skateboard forward at 7.00m/s(as measured by an observer on the ground). Dan's mass is 60.0 kg and the skateboard's mass is 6.00kg. how fast is dan going as his feet hit the ground

A 10.0g ball of clay traveling east at 7.00m/s collides and sticks together with a 10.0g ball of clay traveling north at 5.50m/s. what is the speed of the resulting clay

A spaceship of mass 2.3×10^6kg is cruising at a speed of 6×10^6m/s when the antimatter reactor fails, blowing the ship into three pieces. One section, having a mass of 4.8×10^5kg, is blown straight backward with a speed of 2.3×10^6m/s. A second piece, with mass 7.6×10^5kg, continues forward at 1.3×10^6m/s.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do you agree that 1&3 is basically the same problem?
    What do you know of inelastic collisions?

4. Mar 18, 2005 #3
    i just solved the spaceship problem.

they are all momentum problems, and i feel as though i understand them all but something isnt quite right. and i know of ineleastic collisions.

for the skateboard question, i did 60kg(Vf)=6kg*2m/s+60kg*2m/s

for blob of clay question (without degrees) i did (.01kg+.03kg)Vf=.02kg*3m/s+.03kg*2m/s

5. Mar 18, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The "blob of clay" questions need you to regard velocities as VECTORS, not scalars as you have done

6. Mar 18, 2005 #5
    could you be more specific, do i find x and y components and then add? im almost positive im doing it correctly. for the first clay question... (.01kg +.01kg)Vf=.07kgm/s+.055kgm/s final answer of 6.25 is incorrect

7. Mar 18, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Right, in so far as you mean to say you add componentwise.
    For example, the first one:
    Let the unit vector "east" be [tex]\vec{i}[/tex] and north [tex]\vec{j}[/tex]
    Then, the unit vector which makes 30 degrees angle to the unit "west" vector in the southern direction is: [tex]\vec{t}=-\cos(30)\vec{i}-\sin(30)\vec{j}[/tex]
    Hence, the final velocity, [tex]\vec{v}_{f}[/tex] fulfills:
    [tex](m_{1}+m_{2})\vec{v}_{f}=m_{1}v_{1}\vec{i}+m_{2}v_{2}(-\cos(30)\vec{i}-\sin(30)\vec{j})[/tex]
    [tex]m_{1}=20g, v_{1}=2\frac{m}{s}, m_{2}=30g, v_{2}=1\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

8. Mar 18, 2005 #7
    thank you so much, but what about the skateboarder, i cant figure it out.

edit: that equation does not work. but im out of time. thanks for the help

9. Mar 18, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do you know what speed is?
    It is not the same as velocity, I thought you knew the difference.

10. Mar 18, 2005 #9
    their desired answer is in the form of m/s, the correct answer is .410. how did they come to this?

11. Mar 18, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, you must calculate the speed from the velocity and plug in the numbers.
    To continue with the one I started with, the final speed, [tex]||\vec{v}_{f}||[/tex]
    satisfies:
    [tex]||\vec{v}_{f}||=\frac{1}{m_{1}+m_{2}}\sqrt{(m_{1}v_{1}-m_{2}v_{2}\cos(30))^{2}+m_{2}^{2}v_{2}^{2}\sin^{2}(30)}=\frac{1}{20+30}\sqrt{(20*2-30*1*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})^{2}+30^{2}*1^{2}*\frac{1}{4}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?