Collision of pucks elastic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the collision between two hockey pucks with initial speeds of v1i = 30 m/s and v2i = 10 m/s. After the collision, one puck is moving with a speed of 6 m/s in the x direction. The final velocity of the other puck is found to be 26.50 m/s based on the given equations and information about the initial velocities.
dorian_stokes

Homework Statement

Consider the collision between two hockey pucks in the figure below. They do not stick together. Their speeds before the collision are v1i = 30 m/s and v2i = 10 m/s. It is found that after the collision one of the pucks is moving along x with a speed of 6 m/s. What is the final velocity of the other puck? v1 is in second quadrant with 30 degrees from x-axis going south east, and v2 is on the y-axis going up.

Homework Equations

30cos30, 30sin30, 10cos270, and 10sin270

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
v1i = 30cos30 + 30sin30v2i = 10cos270 + 10sin270v1f + v2f = 6 + v2f26.50 + v2f = v2f26.50 = v2fTherefore, the final velocity of the other puck is 26.50 m/s

To determine the final velocity of the other puck, we can use the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. Since the pucks do not stick together, the collision is considered to be elastic. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

We can also use the fact that the pucks move along the x and y axes to determine the components of their velocities. We can use the given information to find the initial x and y components of the velocities, which are 30cos30 and 30sin30 for puck 1 and 10cos270 and 10sin270 for puck 2.

Using the conservation of momentum equation, we can set the initial momentum of the system (before the collision) equal to the final momentum of the system (after the collision). This gives us the equation:

(m1*v1i + m2*v2i) = (m1*v1f + m2*v2f)

Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the pucks, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities.

Since we know that puck 1 has a final velocity of 6 m/s along the x-axis, we can substitute this value into the equation and solve for v2f. This gives us the final velocity of puck 2 as 16 m/s along the y-axis, going up.

In conclusion, the final velocity of the other puck is 16 m/s along the y-axis, going up. This collision can be considered elastic since the total kinetic energy before and after the collision is the same. The pucks do not stick together and their velocities are conserved after the collision.

1. How does the elasticity of the pucks affect the collision?

The elasticity of the pucks determines how much energy is conserved during the collision. Higher elasticity means that more energy will be conserved, resulting in a more elastic collision.

2. What factors influence the outcome of a collision between two pucks?

The outcome of a collision between two pucks is influenced by the mass, velocity, and elasticity of the pucks. The angle of collision and any external forces acting on the pucks can also affect the outcome.

3. What happens when two pucks with different masses collide?

When two pucks with different masses collide, the heavier puck will transfer some of its energy to the lighter puck. This results in the lighter puck moving with a higher velocity after the collision.

4. Can the angle of collision affect the elasticity of the collision?

Yes, the angle of collision can affect the elasticity of the collision. When two pucks collide head-on, the collision is more elastic compared to a collision at an angle. This is because a head-on collision results in the pucks bouncing off each other with less friction.

5. Is the conservation of momentum applicable to the collision of pucks?

Yes, the conservation of momentum applies to the collision of pucks. The total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This means that the sum of the individual momentums of the pucks before the collision is equal to the sum of their momentums after the collision.