Collision of Two Particles: Conservation of Momentum and Final Velocities

In summary, the initial momentum of the system is 40i and after the interaction, the 5kg mass has a final momentum of 12i, -16j while the 6kg mass has a final momentum of 28i, 16j. Using the equation for conservation of momentum, the final speed of the 6kg mass after the interaction is calculated to be 5.4m/s.
heartshapedbox

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 5.0kg travels initially with a velocity of 8.0mˆı and then interacts with a particle of mass 6.0kg which was initially at rest. After the interaction the 5.0kg mass travels at a speed of 4.0m/s along a direction which makes an angle of 53◦ with the x-axis.

What is the change in momentum of the 5kg mass? -28i -16j
What is the speed of the 6kg mass after the interaction?

Homework Equations

m1v1=(m1v2)f+m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am thinking the momentum must be conserved. If the initial velocity was 8m/s in the i direction, the final velocity must be as well. The final velocity of the 5kg mass in component form is 4cos(307)=2.4i and 4sin(307)=-3.2j. This means the final velocity of the 6kg mass is 5.6i and 3.2j, giving 6.5 as the final velocity.

Apparently the answer is 5.4, can you show me what i should be doing instead. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
heartshapedbox said:
So I am thinking the momentum must be conserved. If the initial velocity was 8m/s in the i direction, the final velocity must be as well.
These two statements, don't mean the same thing. How did you conclude that the final velocity must equal the initial?

Ok i see what i did wrong, lol, long day.
Total initial momentum: 40i
5kg mass final momentum: 12i, -16j
Due to conservation of momentum: 6kg final momentum: 28i, 16j
sqrt((28/6)^2+(-16/6)^2)
final speed: 5.4m/s

1. What is a collision of two particles?

A collision of two particles refers to the physical interaction between two particles, where they come into contact with each other and exchange energy and momentum. This can occur in various environments, such as in a particle accelerator or in a gas.

2. What factors determine the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision between two particles is determined by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the particles, the angle at which they collide, and the nature of their interaction forces.

3. How do scientists study collisions of particles?

Scientists study collisions of particles using various experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators and detectors. They also use theoretical models and computer simulations to understand and predict the outcomes of collisions.

4. What is the significance of studying collisions of particles?

Studying collisions of particles helps scientists understand the fundamental laws and principles of physics, such as conservation of energy and momentum. It also allows them to explore the behavior of matter at a subatomic level and make advancements in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

5. Can collisions of particles create new particles?

Yes, collisions of particles can create new particles through processes such as particle decay or particle annihilation. This has been observed in experiments at particle accelerators, where high-energy collisions have led to the discovery of new particles and helped expand our understanding of the universe.