What Happens to Sphere Velocities After an Elastic Collision?

In summary, using the equations for kinetic energy and momentum, we can solve for the velocities of the two spheres after an elastic collision between sphere 1 and sphere 2, given their initial velocities and masses.
Manh

Homework Statement

Two solid spheres hung by thin threads from a horizontal support (Figure 1) are initially in contact with each other. Sphere 1 has inertia m1 = 0.040 kg , and sphere 2 has inertia m2 = 0.10 kg. When pulled to the left and released, sphere 1 collides elastically with sphere 2. At the instant just before the collision takes place, sphere 1 has kinetic energy K1 = 0.086 J .
A. What is the speed of sphere 1 after the collision?
B. What is the speed of sphere 2 after the collision?
Mazur1e.ch5.p70.jpg

Homework Equations

K = 1/2 mv^2
p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I found v1i = 2.07 m/s
Should I consider of using these equations?
Kinetic:
1/2 m1*v1i^2 + 1/2 m2*v2i^2 = 1/2 m1*v1f^2 + 1/2 m2*v2f^2
Momentum:
m1*v1i + m2i*v2i = m1*v1f + m2*v2f

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. You have two unknowns - the velocities of the two spheres after the collision - and two equations (one for momentum and one for KE), so you can solve the system and find both values.

What is a "Collision of Two Spheres"?

A collision of two spheres refers to the moment when two spherical objects come into contact and interact with each other.

What are some examples of collisions of two spheres?

Examples of collisions of two spheres include the collision of two billiard balls, two planets colliding in outer space, or two atoms colliding in a particle accelerator.

What factors affect the outcome of a collision of two spheres?

The outcome of a collision of two spheres is affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of the objects, as well as the elasticity and surface characteristics of the spheres.

What happens to the kinetic energy during a collision of two spheres?

The kinetic energy of the spheres is conserved during a collision, meaning that it is not created or destroyed, but can be transferred between the two objects.

How do scientists study collisions of two spheres?

Scientists study collisions of two spheres through experiments, simulations, and mathematical models to better understand the laws of physics and how they apply in different scenarios.