1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision point of two objects

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Object A is at the origin and must intercept object B.

Object B begins at coordinates 901.3x - 5371y + 591.4z and is travelling in the positive x direction at 6 units per second.

Object A has a maximum speed of 12 units per second.

How long will it take for A to reach B ?

2. Relevant equations

Directional cosines may be useful here.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have only been able to determine a velocity vector for A in order to reach B's initial position and have no idea how to factor in that B has its own velocity vector which is impacting on the position.
    What I have for A's velocity to reach B's starting point is 1.974x -11.76y +1.295z where it then takes 456.68 seconds to reach the initial point and by this time B has moved 2740.08 units in the positive x direction, which then A takes 228 seconds to get to... and so on and so forth.

I've tried searching for similar problems but havent come up with anything although I would believe its a pretty common problem...

Help? Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted