Solving Collision Problem: Find Speed of 2nd Block After Bullet Stops

• Thread starter go2cnavy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the problem involves two blocks of wood on a frictionless table, with a 10 g bullet fired at them. The bullet passes through the first block and embeds itself in the second block, causing the first block to have a speed of 6.0 m/s. The goal is to find the speed of the second block after the bullet stops. The key is to consider the system of the first block and the bullet as one, with no external forces acting upon it, and use conservation of momentum to solve for the final speed of the second block. Alternatively, the entire system of both blocks and the bullet can be considered as one, and the final speed of the second block can be solved for.
go2cnavy
Collision problem UPDATED

I messed up the first post. My cut/paste function malfunctioned. There should be sufficient information now. Sorry for the confusion.

Two 500 g blocks of wood are 2.0 m apart on a frictionless table. A 10 g bullet is fired at the blocks. It passes all the way through the first block, then embeds itself in the second block. The speed of the first block immediately afterward is 6.0 m/s.

What is the speed of the second block after the bullet stops?

I tried to set this up as an inelastic collision problem, but the bullet passing throught he first block is throwing me off.

I initiall set Pi=Pf but came up with a negative velocity way out of proportion for the bulet when exiting the first block. Where should I start with this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem to me that there isn't sufficient information to solving this problem. Anyone else see something I'm missing??

I guess the answer would be zero, but that assumes a completely ideal situation where the bullet comes out with the same momentum it went in with (i.e. no momentum is lost because there is minimal interaction). I don't know, otherwise there isn't really enough info.

back to top with updated infor

Hint:

Consider the first block+incoming bullet a SINGLE system.

No external forces act upon this system.

So, the momentum of this system is consserved throughout the collision period!

Hints:
What was the initial momentum of the system, and what soes it have to be equal to?

Alternatively, regard both blocks+bullet a single system, and solve for the second block's final speed.

1. How is the speed of the second block determined after a bullet stops?

The speed of the second block is determined by using the conservation of momentum principle. This states that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. So, by knowing the mass and velocity of the bullet and the first block, we can calculate the velocity of the second block after the collision.

2. What factors affect the speed of the second block in this scenario?

The speed of the second block is affected by the mass and velocity of the bullet, as well as the mass of the first block. The speed of the first block before the collision will also have an impact on the speed of the second block after the collision.

3. How can we accurately measure the speed of the second block?

The speed of the second block can be measured by using a high-speed camera to capture the collision and then using frame-by-frame analysis to determine the velocity. Another method is to use sensors or data collection devices to measure the speed directly.

4. Is it possible for the second block to have a faster speed than the bullet in this scenario?

No, it is not possible for the second block to have a faster speed than the bullet. This is because of the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum before and after a collision must be equal. Since the bullet has a higher velocity and momentum than the second block, the second block cannot exceed its speed.

5. How can we account for external factors that may affect the speed of the second block?

To account for external factors, it is important to conduct the experiment in a controlled environment and minimize any outside influences. This can include using a smooth surface for the collision, minimizing air resistance, and accurately measuring the mass and velocity of the objects involved. Additionally, repeating the experiment multiple times and taking an average of the results can help to account for any discrepancies caused by external factors.