1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision Problem

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An atom (m = 19.0 u) makes a perfectly elastic collision with another atom at rest. After the impact, the atom travels away a
    a 52.9° angle from its original direction and the unknown atom travels away at a −50.0° angle. What is the mass (in u) of th
    unknown atom?

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of Momemtum
    Law of Sines

3. The attempt at a solution

Atom A is the m_a=19 u...

m_a*v_a,i=m_a*v_a,f + m_b*v_b,f

Draw triangle, use law of sines...

4 eqns (bottom one can be seperated into 3 eqns correct?), 4 unknowns (m_b, v_a,i, v_a,f, and v_b,f)

Tried to solve in my TI-89 and it did not work (note I'm not in radian mode or anything stupid)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2
    Use conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy to find the answer.

(Hint: Write the conservation of momentum expressions in the x- and y-directions. Note that the y-momentum before the collision is 0, so it has to be 0 after.)
  4. Feb 19, 2007 #3
    So like...?

m_a*v_a = m_a*v_a*cos(52.9) + m_b*v_b*cos(50)

0.5*m_a*(v_a)^2 = 0.5*m_a*[v_a*cos(52.9)]^2 + 0.5*m_b*[v_b*cos(50)]^2

0 = m_a*v_a*sin(52.9) + m_b*v_b*(-sin(50))

Don't need to do KE in y-direction because already have 3 equations for 3 unkowns...
    Does doing the trig fucntions eliminate the need to do the initial and final subscripts on the velocities?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?