Collision Problem: Football Player & QB, Coeff of Friction 0.052

• Thread starter Faded Maximus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: Since you know the mass and velocities, you can solve for d.In summary, the collision between the football player and the quarterback can be solved using the equations for momentum and friction. After calculating the final velocity of the players and the frictional force, the distance they will move after the collision can be determined using the equation for work. Solving for d, the distance can be found.
Faded Maximus

Homework Statement

A football player weighing 71 kg running at 2.1 m/s sacks a stationary quarterback who weighs 52 kg. How far will the two move after the collision if the coefficient of friction between the cleats and ground is 0.052.

Homework Equations

m1v1' + m2v2' = mv'1
uk = Fk / Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

m1v1' + m2v2' = mv'1
(m1v1' + m2v2') / m = v'1
v'1 = 71 * 2.1 / 123
v'1 = 1.212 m/s

uk = Fk/Fn
Fk = Fnuk
Fk = 123 * 9.8 * 0.052
Fk = 62.68 N

Providing I did this right, I now have the speed they move after they are together and the friction in N. From here I am not sure how to calculate the distance they will move. Could somebody give me a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the work done by the friction to bring the players to a stop. You know how much energy there is, since you know the velocity of the players after impact.

I understand what you mean:

w = fd
d = w / f

but I am unaware of how I know how much energy there is from the velocity.

edit: would you substitue w for Ek, which would be 1/2mf^2 - 1/2mvi^2?

Last edited:
If you write out the energy conservation for before and after impact and include the energy lost due to friction, it is a bit more obvious,

0.5m1v1^2 = 0.5mv^2 + fd

where fd is the energy lost due to friction.

1. What is a collision problem?

A collision problem is a situation where two or more objects come into contact and exert forces on each other. This can result in changes in the objects' motion and can be described using principles of physics such as Newton's laws of motion.

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect a collision between a football player and a quarterback?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In a collision between a football player and a quarterback, a higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance between the two players, making it harder for them to move past each other. A lower coefficient of friction would result in less resistance and potentially a smoother collision.

3. What factors influence the coefficient of friction in a football collision?

The coefficient of friction is influenced by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact (e.g. grass, turf, or artificial turf), the amount of force applied, and the angle of contact between the two players.

4. How is the coefficient of friction calculated in a football collision?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction (which is equal to the normal force exerted by one object on the other) by the force pressing the two surfaces together. In the case of a football collision, this would involve measuring the weight of the players and the force exerted during the collision.

5. How does understanding the coefficient of friction in a football collision benefit scientists?

Understanding the coefficient of friction in a football collision allows scientists to accurately predict and analyze the forces involved in these types of collisions. This information can be used to improve player safety, design better equipment, and enhance overall performance on the field.