Proof: Collision of a Ball with Parabolic Mirror Y^2=2px

• Thread starter neelakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a ball moving parallel to the y-axis will arrive at the focus of a parabolic mirror, regardless of its point of impact on the mirror. The conversation involves using the law of reflection and conservation of energy, and the suggestion is made to calculate the slope of the tangent line to the curve of the mirror to prove this. There is also discussion about finding the coordinates of the point of incidence and using geometric formulas to show that the reflected ray passes through the focus.
neelakash

Homework Statement

A ball moving parallel to the y-axis undergoes an elastic collision with a parabolic mirror y^2=2px.Prove that no matter where the prompt of impact lies it will arrive at the mirror's focus.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this can be done in the same way we prove a result for reflection of light in a parabolic mirror.Please guide me if I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be done the same way. Assuming the mass of ball is negligible compared with the mirror.

Ok,thank you.

Sorry,I need to talk more.In that equiavalent optics problem,we used Fermat's law of least path.Here it is not available.So,how should we proceed?

The 'least path' law still basically applies in the form of a least action principle. But what you really need is just angle of incidence equals angle of reflection. To see this you have to assume there are no frictional forces involved in the collision. This means the wall can only exert a normal force. So the parallel component of the momentum can't change. Conservation of energy now tells you that the normal component of the momentum must just reverse.

That's right.But I cannot see anything using only "law" of reflection.How does it mean that the reflected ball passes through focus(P)?One possibility is that the undeviated ball strikes the directrics and from the definition of parabola,e=1...so,SP=SN.That is (d/dt)SN=(d/dt)SPThis means magnitude of velocity remains unchanged iff the ball reflects along SP...Because,for other points the relation is not true.

I understand the way is hanging around this.But,I cannot develop logically...
by the way,I hope in the same way one can prove for two focii in an ellipse?

This can be done by calculating the "slope of the tangent line" to the curve of the mirror (i.e. the derivative).

However, I have a problem with the statement. You give the equation of the parabolic mirror as y2= 2px, a parabola "opening" to the right but say the ball is coming "parallel to the y-axis", vertically. The ball is going to hit the back of the mirror and will bounce AWAY from the focus!

Magnitude of velocity is always unchanged. You have to look at the angles.

HallsofIvy,you are right.Actually,I posted the question directly from a book...When I tried,I started with a the geometrical optics analogy in another...so,I overlooked it.

However,how does the differentiation help?
dy/dx=(2p)^(1/2)*(-1/2)[1/{(x)^(1/2)}]

dick,I could not get anything out of ONLY ANGLES.What about the way suggested?

I think I got a way.I have to show GEOMETRICALLY the reflected ray passes through (p/2,0)

*First you find the co-ordinates of the point of incidence.
*differentiate y^2 and 2px and equate them and find the slope of the normal in terms of co-ordinates of the point of incidence.
*Now you have incident slope 0,normal's slope known,and reflected ray's slope m,say.
*use standard co-ordinate formula that i=r.This gives the value of m.
*The reflected ray's equation can be found.and it is seen that the line passes through (p/2,0)

1. What is a parabolic mirror?

A parabolic mirror is a type of curved mirror that has a parabolic shape, meaning it has a curved surface that is shaped like a parabola. This shape allows the mirror to reflect light rays in a way that they all converge at one focal point.

2. How does the equation Y^2=2px relate to the parabolic mirror?

The equation Y^2=2px is the standard equation for a parabola with its vertex at the origin. In the context of a parabolic mirror, this equation represents the shape of the mirror's surface, with the y-axis representing the height and the x-axis representing the distance from the focal point.

3. How does a ball collide with a parabolic mirror?

In this scenario, the ball is thrown towards the mirror and collides with its surface. The ball's trajectory will be affected by the shape of the mirror, causing it to follow a curved path and ultimately collide with the mirror at a specific point.

4. What factors affect the collision of the ball with the parabolic mirror?

The factors that affect the collision include the initial velocity and angle at which the ball is thrown, the shape and size of the parabolic mirror, and the position of the focal point. The mass and size of the ball may also have an impact on the collision.

5. How is the proof of collision of a ball with parabolic mirror Y^2=2px relevant in real-world applications?

The proof of this collision can be applied in various fields such as optics, physics, and engineering. It can help in designing and optimizing parabolic mirrors for use in telescopes, solar collectors, or satellite antennas, where precise control of light rays is crucial. This proof also has implications in sports, where understanding the trajectory of a thrown or kicked ball is essential for performance.