1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision problem

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three particles, A,B,C all of equal mass m,collide at the origin. Prior to the collsion the particles are moving as follows:

A has speed u in direction (1/sqrt(2))(-i-j)
    B has speed v in direction (sqrt(3)/2)i+(1/2)j
    C has speed w in direction -i

After the collision all particles remain at the origin.

find w in terms of u.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the momentum of each particle is the mass times the velocity. I know that the momentum of the system of particles at time t is P=0

I know that from the conservation of linear momentum that the sum of the individual momentums before the collision must also be 0.

I am probably being a bit thick in my mathematical thinking here because I don't see how to state w in terms of u only.

I just need a nudge in the right direction. No complete solutions

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2
    wrote the linear momentum as

[tex]\frac{1}{m} \vec P = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ -1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \, u ~ + ~ \frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix} \sqrt{3} \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \, v ~ + ~ \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \, w [/tex]​

so you see that the motion is confined in a plane! So any three vectors in a plane are linearly dependent!

for more information see : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linearly_independent

with best regards

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    Perfect! Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook