1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision problem

1. Oct 14, 2004 #1
    A ball moving with a speed of 15 m/s strikes an identical ball that is initially at rest. After the collision, the incoming ball has been deviated by deta1 = -41° from its original direction, and the struck ball moves off at deta2 = 24° from the original direction. What are the speeds of the two balls after the collision?

I set up these two equations:
    initial momentum = final momentum

x component: v1(initial) = v1(final)*cos(-41) + v2(final)*cos(24)

y component: 0 = v1(final)*sin(-41) + v2(final)*cos(24)

Did I set up this right?
    How would I solve these equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have two equations and two unknowns and the relationships are linear! It's easy to solve. For example, solve the 2nd equation for v1_final in terms of v2_final then substitute that result into the first equation which you can readily solve for v2_final -which, in turn, let's you explicitly determine v1_final.

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    These 2 equations are separate components (X and Y). I can just solve for the 2nd one and plug into the first? I thought I have to solve each one individually and then combine them to find the hypontenuse (V_final).

5. Oct 15, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well if you solve for each then you can add their squares and find the square root to find the magnitude of the vector!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?