What is the Solution to a Perfectly Inelastic Collision Problem?

• Thread starter BrainMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, a 90-kg halfback running north at 9 m/s is tackled by a 120-kg opponent running south at 3 m/s. The collision is perfectly inelastic and head-on, resulting in a velocity of 5.57 m/s for the players just after the tackle. The total energy lost as a result of the collision is 2.14 m/s.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A 90-kg halfback running north with a speed of 9 m/s is tackled by a 120-kg opponent running south with a speed of 3 m/s. If the collision is perfectly inelastic and head-on, calculate. (a) the velocity of the players just after the tackle and (b) the total energy lost as a result of the collision.

Homework Equations

m1v1i + m2v2i = (m1 + m2)vf

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged the masses and velocities into the equation for perfectly inelastic collisions and solved for vf. I got 5.57 m/s and the answer is 2.14 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which direction have you picked as positive, north or south?

OK I see what I did. I didn't take into account negative velocity. Thanks!

1. What is a collision problem?

A collision problem is a situation in which two or more objects come into contact with each other, resulting in a change in their motion or physical properties.

2. What causes a collision?

A collision can be caused by various factors such as the movement of the objects, external forces acting on the objects, or the properties and composition of the objects themselves.

3. What are the different types of collisions?

There are two main types of collisions: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or deformation.

4. How do scientists study collision problems?

Scientists use various methods such as experiments, simulations, and mathematical models to study collision problems. They also use principles of physics and mathematics to analyze and predict the outcomes of collisions.

5. What are some real-life examples of collision problems?

Some real-life examples of collision problems include car crashes, billiard ball collisions, and collisions between atoms and molecules in chemical reactions. Collisions also play a crucial role in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and sports.