Which collision equations go with which situations?

• Thread starter twenty5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: And yes, the final velocity will be the same for both since they are now one body with the same velocity. In summary, the equations for elastic collisions are used when one object is stationary, and the equations for inelastic collisions are used when the two objects stick together after the collision. The equation m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' applies for any collision in general, and for completely inelastic collisions, the equation m1v1 = (m1 + m2 ) V' is used. It is important to take into account direction when solving problems with momentum.
twenty5
So yeah, I just want to get some things cleared up... with collision equations...

OK SO..

QUESTION:
which equations go with which situations?
+++++++++++++
Elastic collision:
----------------
1] V1' = V1 ( m1 - m2 ) / (m1 + m2 )

2] V2' = 2m1v1 / (m1 + m2 )
1] and 2] are for ones where one object is stationary

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

++++++++++++++

Inelastic Collision:
-----------------

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2l

+++++++++++++++++

complete Inelastic Collisions:
----------------------------
m1v1 = (m1 + m2 ) V'

just want to get them straighten out for the test tomorrow ^^ and If I'm missing any... can you let me know thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
twenty5 said:
So yeah, I just want to get some things cleared up... with collision equations...

OK SO..

QUESTION:
which equations go with which situations?
+++++++++++++
Elastic collision:
----------------
1] V1' = V1 ( m1 - m2 ) / (m1 + m2 )

2] V2' = 2m1v1 / (m1 + m2 )
1] and 2] are for ones where one object is stationary

well for 1] and 2] let's rewrite these equations:

[tex]V_1'(m_1+m_2)=m_1v_1-m_2v_1[/tex]

I am assuming the left side is what happened after collision.

So what does the term (m1+m2) symbolize for the bodies? and notice how on the right side the velocity is the same, what does the negative sign mean?

Also your equation for a completely inelastic collision is correct. But just know that the equation above it is for any collision in general i.e. it applies for both elastic and inelastic.

rock.freak667 said:
well for 1] and 2] let's rewrite these equations:

[tex]V_1'(m_1+m_2)=m_1v_1-m_2v_1[/tex]

I am assuming the left side is what happened after collision.

So what does the term (m1+m2) symbolize for the bodies? and notice how on the right side the velocity is the same, what does the negative sign mean?

uhm yup it's for ""after" collision ,and m1 + m2 is like when they are 1 mass I believe...so is everythiing else alrite? :) [tex]
V_1single-quote(m_1+m_2)=m_1v_1-m_2v_1
[/tex]

basically, on the right side , you can factor our v1 and then just divide by (m1 + m2) from the left side ;)

twenty5 said:
uhm yup it's for ""after" collision ,and m1 + m2 is like when they are 1 mass I believe...so is everythiing else alrite? :)

Yep, meaning that the bodies stick together (so it is a completely inelastic collision) but when doing questions with momentum, you must always take into account direction.

So if we take +ve as moving to the right then -ve is to the left, right?
So from the right side of the equation m1 is moving to the right and m2 is moving to the left.

rock.freak667 said:
Yep, meaning that the bodies stick together (so it is a completely inelastic collision) but when doing questions with momentum, you must always take into account direction.

So if we take +ve as moving to the right then -ve is to the left, right?
So from the right side of the equation m1 is moving to the right and m2 is moving to the left.

mmm kay

twenty5 said:
mmm kay

so you should be good to go now.

m1v1 = (m1 + m2 ) V'

for completely inelastic collision because 1 final velocity when they stick together at the end and... m1 + m2 same mass?

phew okay thanks a whole bunch and another bunch :D

twenty5 said:
m1v1 = (m1 + m2 ) V'

for completely inelastic collision because 1 final velocity when they stick together at the end and... m1 + m2 same mass?

Well the m1+m2 means the bodies stick together, so the new mass of the body is the sum of the masses m1 and m2

1. What is a collision question in science?

A collision question in science is a type of problem where two or more objects or particles collide with each other, and the resulting motion and energy changes are analyzed. These types of questions are commonly seen in physics and mechanics.

2. How do you solve a collision question?

To solve a collision question, you need to first identify the type of collision (elastic or inelastic), calculate the initial and final velocities of the objects, and use conservation of momentum and energy principles to solve for the unknown variables. It is important to also consider any external forces or factors that may affect the collision.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning there is no loss of energy during the collision. In an inelastic collision, some energy is lost due to factors like friction or deformation of the objects. Momentum is still conserved in an inelastic collision, but kinetic energy is not.

4. Can a collision question be solved without knowing the mass of the objects?

No, the mass of the objects involved in the collision is a crucial factor in solving the problem. The mass affects the momentum and energy changes during the collision and is necessary to calculate the final velocities of the objects.

5. What are some real-life examples of collisions?

Some real-life examples of collisions include a car crash, a ball bouncing off a wall, a billiard game, a comet hitting a planet, and particles colliding in a particle accelerator. These collisions can be analyzed using principles of physics and mechanics to understand the resulting motion and energy changes.