Solve Collision Questions: Cannonball Speed & Dog Mass

• Thread starter rainy365days
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to calculate the velocity and mass of objects in a collision scenario. The first scenario involves a cannon and cannonball, while the second involves a cart and a dog. The equations used are based on the principle of conservation, though the specific conservation principle is not specified.
rainy365days
1. Jamie and Adam fire a cannon with a mass of 1150 kg. As the 14.5 kg cannonball leaves the cannon, the cannon recoils with a velocity of 1.75 m/s. How fast does the cannonball fly?

2. A 45 kg cart rolls along a railroad track at 4.0 m/s. A dog running at 7.6 m/s to catch up with the cart jumps on the cart. After the dog jumps on the cart, the cart is moving at 6.0 m/s. What is the mass of the dog?

2. m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)Vf

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 + m2v2

(m1 + m2)*Vi = m1v1 + m2v2

3. I'm not sure what equation to use...

Physics news on Phys.org
rainy365days said:
1. Jamie and Adam fire a cannon with a mass of 1150 kg. As the 14.5 kg cannonball leaves the cannon, the cannon recoils with a velocity of 1.75 m/s. How fast does the cannonball fly?

2. A 45 kg cart rolls along a railroad track at 4.0 m/s. A dog running at 7.6 m/s to catch up with the cart jumps on the cart. After the dog jumps on the cart, the cart is moving at 6.0 m/s. What is the mass of the dog?

2. m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)Vf

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 + m2v2

(m1 + m2)*Vi = m1v1 + m2v2

3. I'm not sure what equation to use...
Do you know what principle those equations are based on ?

SammyS said:
Do you know what principle those equations are based on ?

Collision? I'm sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

rainy365days said:
Collision? I'm sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

They're based on conservation of something .

Do you know what that something is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you provide more information about the scenario? Are there any other variables given, such as the force applied by the dog or the distance the cart travels before and after the dog jumps on? Without more information, I am unable to solve this question.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a cannonball?

The speed of a cannonball can be calculated using the equation: speed = distance / time. You will need to measure the distance the cannonball travels and the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. What factors affect the speed of a cannonball?

The speed of a cannonball is affected by factors such as the angle of the cannon, the force of the explosion, and air resistance. The mass of the cannonball itself also plays a role in its speed.

3. How does the mass of a cannonball affect its speed?

The mass of a cannonball directly affects its speed. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the speed of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a heavier cannonball will have a slower speed compared to a lighter one when launched with the same force.

4. How does the mass of a dog affect its impact in a collision?

The mass of a dog can greatly impact its impact in a collision. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the force of an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. Therefore, a heavier dog will have a greater impact compared to a lighter one when involved in a collision.

5. How can the speed of a cannonball and mass of a dog be used to solve collision questions?

The speed of a cannonball and mass of a dog can be used to calculate the momentum of each object. The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. By using this principle, the speed and mass of each object can be used to determine the outcome of a collision and the forces involved.