1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision rate termination reaction hydrogen oxygen explosion/combustion

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I'm making a question on the explosion of hydrogen/oxygen. All the things you need to know are the following. The formation of H-radicals in the H2-O2 mixture are responsible for ignition of the explosion. This means the H-radicals need to be formed faster than they are destructed to let the mixture explode. One of the 'termination' reaction in which H-radicals are removed is through collisions with the vessel wall.

H + wall --> removal with rate constant k_1

The question now is: "Textbooks state that the rate constant k1 can be written as:
    k_1 = k_d / P with P the total pressure and k_d another rate constant. Assuming that the vessel is spherical with radius R, and d is the diameter of a hydrogen atom, and m its mass. Derive now the following equation:

k1 = (12/ R^2) * ((kb*T ) / (Pi*d^2 * P * Srqt(2) ))* Sqrt( 8*kb*T / Pi*m)

How do I do this? It has something to do with determining the collion rate to the wall and the last Sqrt-term will be from the boltzmann velocity, but I just can't see where all the terms come from.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?