Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision Reaction

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    Hello,
    I have a question about how balls react on collision while having diffrent mass,
    lets say two balls are moving on one dimension, the first ball has the speed of V1, mass of M1, and the other ball has V2,M2.
    what will be their speed after the collision?
    assuming there are no other forces involved.
    It is logical to me that if their mass is the same, the balls will exchange their speed, but I don't know what will happen if the balls will be with diffrent mass.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF hadari,

If one assumes that the collision is completely elastic then both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved and the problem can be solved.

If one assumes that the collision is completely inelastic then just momentum is conserved and the problem can be solved.

In the case where neither of the above apply then the problem cannot be solved without further information.

4. Apr 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks you solved all my problems :)

5. Apr 18, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

I am just curious to know on what you based this conclusion, because you didn't mention anything about the co-eff of restitution or consvn of KE.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  6. Apr 20, 2008 #5
    I didn't mention "co-eff of restitution or consvn of KE" because I don't know what any of those means, I don't know much about physics, I'm a programmer and just wanted to build a physics engine for a project I have. That conclusion was based on intuition only.

7. Apr 21, 2008 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Hootenanny has replied to you qualitatively, without going into any math. Could you really understand everything about collision of balls from that?

(Please ignore this post if you feel that it is not productive for you to continue with this discussion.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?