Calculating Collision Time for Elastic Sphere Collision | Physics Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between two spheres with an elastic force acting between them. The force is given by F=u*dv/dt=-h*x^3/2, where velocity v=dx/dt and x represents the change in distance between the centers of the two bodies. The maximum compression distance is denoted by X_m and the initial velocity is v_i. The collision time, t, is found to be given by the integral t=2(X_m)/(v_i)* [Integral from 0 to 1 of (1-k^5/2)^(-1/2) dk], where k is a dimensionless variable obtained by replacing the resulting integral over x. The potential energy, PE, is given by
AdamP
Consider a collision between two spheres where there was an elastic force acting between the two bodies.
F=u*dv/dt=-h*x^3/2
where velocity v=dx/dt, h is a constant, u is the reduced mass (m1*m2/m1+m2), and x is the "change in distance" between the centers of the two bodies. Maximum compression distance is X_m, and initial velocity is v_i.

Show that the collision time, t, is given by
t=2(X_m)/(v_i)* [Integral from 0 to 1 of (1-k^5/2)^(-1/2) dk],
where k is a dimensionless variable replaced in the integral for x.

Just some idea to start this off would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AdamP said:
Consider a collision between two spheres where there was an elastic force acting between the two bodies.

F=u*dv/dt=-h*x^3/2

where velocity v=dx/dt, h is a constant, u is the reduced mass (m1*m2/m1+m2), and x is the "change in distance" between the centers of the two bodies. Maximum compression distance is X_m, and initial velocity is v_i.

Show that the collision time, t, is given by
t=2(X_m)/(v_i)* [Integral from 0 to 1 of (1-k^5/2)^(-1/2) dk]

where k is a dimensionless variable, obtained by replacing the resulting integral over x by it. (what does this even mean?)

Just some idea to start this off would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I think you just have to go with energy on this one. The force is elastic, hence conservative, hence you have a potential energy stored in the deformed spheres.

PE = (2/5)hx^(5/2)

That plus the kinetic energy has to be constant, which gives you velocity as a function of position, and vice versa. That relationship ought to make your DE separable into something of the form

f(v)dv = dt

that you can integrate to get the result you are looking for. I haven't done it, but that appears to be a path that will get you there.

I got the part about PE... i.e. after integrating the force function give, we get the work done/ potential energy...

btw, is work done on moving one of the mass/PE= (2/5)h*(m/u)*x^(5/2)?
and equating this to (1/2)*m*(v_i)^2, the x we find would be the maximum, i.e. X_m?

Also, question: How do you get a DE in the form f(v)dv=dt?? cos I tried but I can't seem to separate it out to get that stated integral..

And what does itmean by replacing the dimensionless variable k...?

Last edited by a moderator:
The algebra gets a bit involved, but I expect you can work that out. I don't see there being any mass terms in the potential energy. The work done to compress the spheres has nothing to do with their masses. This is analogous to a spring where the PE just depends on the spring constant and the displacement. Once you have the PE, you know the total energy is conserved so you can write

[tex] U = \frac{1}{2}\mu v^2 + \frac{2}{5}hx^{5/2} = \frac{1}{2}\mu v_i^2 = \frac{2}{5}hX_m^{5/2} [/tex]

solve for x

[tex]x = \left( {\frac{{5\mu }}{{4h}}} \right)^{2/5} \left( {v_i^2 - v^2 } \right)^{2/5} [/tex]

Then

[tex]x^{3/2} = \left( {\frac{{5\mu }}{{4h}}} \right)^{3/5} \left( {v_i^2 - v^2 } \right)^{3/5}[/tex]

Substitute that into the DE and solve for -dt

[tex]\left( {\frac{4}{5}} \right)^{3/5} \left( {\frac{\mu }{h}} \right)^{2/5} \frac{{dv}}{{\left( {v_i^2 - v^2 } \right)^{3/5} }} = - dt[/tex]

I have not taken it far enough to identify k, but it is just an integration variable you need to come up with to integrate the left side of this thing. The wording suggest that you would have an integral over x, but I suspect you might not need to change the integral over v to an integral over x. If you need to do that, you can get the differential relationship between v and x from the equation for x above and express v in terms of x by solving the x(v) equation for v(x). I wouldn't go there unless I had to, but it might be necessary to get it into the form they want.

You would want to take advantage of the symmetry of the velocity integral and find the time of compression for v to go from initial to zero, then double it, but apparently you don't have to do the integral, just find the appropriate variable of integration. It's not jumping out at me, but if you work from the total energy equation you can cume up with the ratio of maximum compression to the initial velocity and take it from there. Check all the algebra!

1. How do you calculate collision time for elastic sphere collision?

To calculate collision time for elastic sphere collision, you will need to know the initial velocities and masses of the two spheres, as well as the coefficient of restitution (a measure of how bouncy the spheres are). Then, you can use the formula t = (2*d)/(v1+v2), where t is the collision time, d is the distance between the two spheres, and v1 and v2 are the initial velocities of the two spheres.

2. What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution, denoted as e, is a measure of how bouncy an object is. It is a dimensionless number between 0 and 1, where 1 represents a perfectly elastic collision (no energy loss) and 0 represents a perfectly inelastic collision (all energy is lost).

3. Can you calculate collision time for non-elastic sphere collisions?

No, the formula for calculating collision time only applies to elastic sphere collisions. For non-elastic collisions, the calculation is more complex and depends on the specific conditions of the collision, such as the materials and shapes of the objects involved.

4. How does the mass of the spheres affect collision time?

The mass of the spheres does not directly affect the collision time, but it does affect the velocities of the spheres before and after the collision. Heavier spheres will have lower velocities, resulting in a longer collision time, while lighter spheres will have higher velocities and a shorter collision time.

5. Can you use the same formula to calculate collision time for objects other than spheres?

No, the formula for calculating collision time only applies to elastic sphere collisions. For other objects, such as cubes or cylinders, there are different formulas and considerations that must be taken into account.