1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision with Angles

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1

uno

1. A skater with a mass of 81 kg is traveling east at 6.4 m/s when he collides with another skater of mass 45 kg heading 60° south of west at 13 m/s. If they stay tangled together, what is their final velocity, and direction in degrees (south of east)

2. Vix = M1V1/M1+M2 and Viy = M2V2/M1+M2

3. for Vix = 4.11 and Viy = 4.64. I'm not sure what the next step is. please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2

uno

o.k. I figured out how to find the speed and the Vf = 4.38 m/s. Does anyone know how to figure out the final angle?

Thanks

4. Nov 2, 2008 #3

uno

This is the reply I got from my professor:
    #15 is a two-dimensional collision that is totally inelastic since the objects stick together after the collision. Example 7.10 shows the solution for a similar problem, although it has one initial velocity of zero and #15 does not. Nevertheless, the example demonstrates that you set up a separate conservation of momentum equation for the x-components and a separate one for the y-components. I find it easiest to measure all angles from the positive x-axis; then the calculator automatically supplies all of the correct signs for the velocity components. For example, the velocity component in the x-direction for mass 1 before the collision is v[1,i,x] = v[1,i] cos (theta[1,i]). The velocity component in the x-direction for masss 2 after the collision is v[2,f,x] = v[2,f] cos (theta[2,f).

But I don't think it helps with finding the final angle...does it?

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4

uno

I tried to take 4.64/4.11 = 1.13. I then to the cotan of that answer to get 48.47 degrees. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?