Calculating Coefficient of Kinetic Friction in a Collison with Rough Surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two blocks colliding on a frictionless surface and then coming to a stop on a rough surface. The conversation delves into the calculation of initial and post-collision kinetic energy, as well as the force of friction and the coefficient of kinetic friction. There is a discrepancy between the calculated answer and the expected answer, and the conversation concludes with the suggestion to equate post-collision kinetic energy with the work of friction.
Mivz18
I'm having trouble solving for the correct answer for this problem:

A block of mass M1 = 3.5 kg moves with velocity v1 = 6.3 m/s on a frictionless surface. It collides with block of mass M2 = 1.7 kg which is initially stationary. The blocks stick together and encounter a rough surface. The blocks eventually come to a stop after traveling a distance d = 1.85 m . What is the coefficient of kinetic friction on the rough surface?

With the help the problem provided, I get that KE = (1/2)m*v^2 which also equals momentum squared over 2 times the two masses added together; this equals the post-collision KE. I also find out that the Force of friction = (friction constant)g(m1 + m2) . Then through the vector dot product you can figure out that delta KE = F*d = (sliding friction coefficient)gd(m1 + m2)cos(180) . I calculate the initial KE as 69.4575 and the post-collision KE as 46.75 leaving delta KE as 22.7073. Then when I solve for the sliding friction coefficient, from the equation
delta KE = (friction coefficient)gd(m1+m2)cos(180).
After my numbers are plugged in and I solve, I get 0.240859 as the answer. However, the online program I'm using says it is incorrect. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not meaningful to use (delta KE) here!
What you then actually are saying, is that all of your initial KE is distibuted between post-collision KE, and the work of friction.
This is patently untrue, since some of the initial KE were lost in the collision.

What IS true, is that ALL post-collision KE is dissipated by friction.

So, equate post-collision KE with work of friction!

Thank you!

1. What is a collision with friction?

A collision with friction is a physical event that occurs when two objects come into contact with each other and exert forces on each other due to friction. This can result in a change in the motion or velocity of the objects involved.

2. How does friction affect collisions?

Friction can affect collisions by reducing the speed and momentum of the objects involved. This is because friction creates a resisting force that acts in the opposite direction of the objects' motion, causing them to slow down and potentially change direction.

3. What factors can influence the amount of friction in a collision?

The amount of friction in a collision can be influenced by factors such as the type of surfaces involved, the force of the collision, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances that may reduce friction.

4. Can friction be beneficial in a collision?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in a collision as it can help to dissipate the energy of the collision and prevent damage or injury. For example, car brakes use friction to slow down and stop the vehicle, making collisions less severe.

5. How can scientists study collisions with friction?

Scientists can study collisions with friction by conducting experiments using different materials and surfaces, varying the forces and speeds involved, and measuring the resulting changes in motion and energy. They can also use mathematical models and simulations to analyze and predict the outcomes of collisions with friction.