How High Will Mass #2 Rise in Different Collision Scenarios?

In summary: I was assigned this problem from my physics teacher, but it doesn't really make sense. I would ask the teacher, but I don't go back to class for a few days. At this point, I just need help trying to understand what the problem is asking for. Thanks very much in advance for any help. Find the height that mass #2 will be raised if m1 = 3lbs and m2 = 5lbs, and the length of the rod is 3 feet, if the collision is: a)elastic or b) inelastic.Answers a) V4 = 10.39, h2 = 1.69b)V3 = 5.19 h1 = .42
Supernerd2004
I was assigned this problem from my physics teacher, but it doesn't really make sense. I would ask the teacher, but I don't go back to class for a few days. At this point, I just need help trying to understand what the problem is asking for. Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Find the height that mass #2 will be raised if m1 = 3lbs and m2 = 5lbs, and the length of the rod is 3 feet, if the collision is: a)elastic or b) inelastic.

Answers a) V4 = 10.39, h2 = 1.69
b)V3 = 5.19 h1 = .42

http://server5.pictiger.com/img/308709/picture-hosting/physics-problem-2.php

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Supernerd2004 said:
I was assigned this problem from my physics teacher, but it doesn't really make sense. I would ask the teacher, but I don't go back to class for a few days. At this point, I just need help trying to understand what the problem is asking for. Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Find the height that mass #2 will be raised if m1 = 3lbs and m2 = 5lbs, and the length of the rod is 3 feet, if the collision is: a)elastic or b) inelastic.

Answers a) V4 = 10.39, h2 = 1.69
b)V3 = 5.19 h1 = .42

http://server5.pictiger.com/img/308709/picture-hosting/physics-problem-2.php

Dan

Is that the question as given? If not could you quote is exactly as printed please.

~H

Last edited by a moderator:
Hootenanny said:
Is that the question as given? If not could you quote is exactly as printed please.

~H

Yup, that is the exact question. This could be why I am so confused. Thanks for the quick reply.

Dan

Ahh, it seems to be that M1 and its rod pivots about the joint between the two rods and is released from rest, it would then collide with M2 which is also pivoted. Find the height than M2 rises to.

~H

hmm...If I fill in the gaps and assume that both rods are free to rotate about the centre it seems like a case of "If I let go of the horizontal rod how fast will the bottom ball be hit by the horizontal ball and how high will it go"...does this seem feasable, can you think of any ways to solve it? (perhaps you should find out firstly how much PE m1 has)

*edit* sorry hoot didn't see your response whilst I was typing this :redface:

GregA said:
hmm...If I fill in the gaps and assume that both rods are free to rotate about the centre it seems like a case of "If I let go of the horizontal rod how fast will the bottom ball be hit by the horizontal ball and how high will it go"...does this seem feasable, can you think of any ways to solve it? (perhaps you should find out firstly how much PE m1 has)

*edit* sorry hoot didn't see your response whilst I was typing this :redface:

No problem Greg, the more the merrier! :biggrin:

~H

Oh, I see what you guys are saying. So the ball on the end rotates down and slams against the other ball. I was sitting there trying to figure out where collisions came into play and it originally wasn’t making sense. Ill do some work on the problem and update the post. Thanks so much!

Dan

That was totally the right approach for the problem. I found the PE at the top of the swing, and then converted that PE to KE at the point of the collision. After calculating the collision velocities, I reconverted back into energy and found the height at which it would swing. Thanks for all the help, you guys rock!

Dan

1. What are collisions?

Collisions occur when two or more objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy. This can result in a change in the motion or shape of the objects involved.

2. How are collisions classified?

Collisions can be classified as elastic or inelastic. In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy and/or momentum may be lost due to deformation or heat.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision is affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of the objects involved, as well as the elasticity of the materials and any external forces acting on the objects.

4. Can you predict the outcome of a collision?

Yes, the outcome of a collision can be predicted using principles of conservation of momentum and energy, as well as knowledge of the initial conditions and properties of the objects involved.

5. How are collisions used in science and technology?

Collisions are used in a variety of scientific and technological applications, such as in particle accelerators to study subatomic particles, in car safety testing, and in the development of new materials and technologies.