Inelastic Collisions: Solving m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2

In summary, the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' represents conservation of momentum and holds true in both elastic and inelastic collisions. It can also be applied in relativistic mechanics, but the masses may change in the collision. The ' symbol is used to differentiate between the original and final values. Calculus is not necessary to solve for the velocity of the second object, simple algebra will suffice. The equation for completely inelastic collisions is m1v1 + m2v2 = m3v3 + m4v4, where the masses of the objects may change during the collision.
marshall4
If i have the equation

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

would i have to use any calulus to find either velocity of the second object?

What is that the equation for? Is it inelastic collisions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by marshall4
If i have the equation

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

would i have to use any calulus to find either velocity of the second object?

What is that the equation for? Is it inelastic collisions?
You don't need calculus. Simple algebra. Just solve for v2.

This is the equation for conservation of momentum. It holds in both elastic and inelastic collisions. It's also valid in relativity if the m's are what some people call 'relativistic mass.' In such cases the m's are conserved. I.e. the sum of the m's before the collision is the sum of the m's after the collision.

Pete

Originally posted by pmb
You don't need calculus. Simple algebra. Just solve for v2.

This is the equation for conservation of momentum. It holds in both elastic and inelastic collisions. It's also valid in relativity if the m's are what some people call 'relativistic mass.' In such cases the m's are conserved. I.e. the sum of the m's before the collision is the sum of the m's after the collision.

Pete

Doesn't the ' mean prime?

What is the ' there for?

What is the equation for completely inelastic collisions?

Originally posted by marshall4
Doesn't the ' mean prime?

What is the ' there for?

What is the equation for completely inelastic collisions?

Actually I meant to write a quote, i.e. "relativistic mass"

I want to applogize. I made an error in that last post. I made a web page on all of this a few weeks ago. See

www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/inertial_mass.htm

The equation I posted above should have read

m1v1 + m2v2 = m3v3 + m4v4

This will hold in all collisions both eleastic and inelastic, and in both Newtonian mechanics and relativistic mechanics.

Particle N with mass mN and velocity vN. The mass may change in the collision.

Pete

The ' is only there to differeniate the original value from the final value.

Nautica

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is not conserved, meaning that the total energy of the system before and after the collision is not the same. In this type of collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to the formation of internal forces and deformation of the colliding bodies.

2. How is the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' used to solve inelastic collisions?

This equation is known as the conservation of momentum equation and is used to solve inelastic collisions. It states that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. By plugging in the known values for mass and velocity before and after the collision, we can solve for the unknown velocities.

3. What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the total energy of the system before and after the collision is the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to the formation of internal forces and deformation of the colliding bodies, while in an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy.

4. Can the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' be used for all types of collisions?

No, this equation can only be used for inelastic collisions. For elastic collisions, the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' is used, which takes into account the conservation of both momentum and kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Some common examples of inelastic collisions include a car accident, a ball hitting the ground and bouncing, or a person catching a ball. In all of these cases, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to the formation of internal forces and deformation of the colliding bodies.