Collisions formula

  • Thread starter marshall4
  • Start date
  • #1
50
0

Main Question or Discussion Point

If i have the equation

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

would i have to use any calulus to find either velocity of the second object?

What is that the equation for? Is it inelastic collisions???
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
pmb
Originally posted by marshall4
If i have the equation

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

would i have to use any calulus to find either velocity of the second object?

What is that the equation for? Is it inelastic collisions???
You don't need calculus. Simple algebra. Just solve for v2.

This is the equation for conservation of momentum. It holds in both elastic and inelastic collisions. It's also valid in relativity if the m's are what some people call 'relativistic mass.' In such cases the m's are conserved. I.e. the sum of the m's before the collision is the sum of the m's after the collision.



Pete
 
  • #3
50
0


Originally posted by pmb
You don't need calculus. Simple algebra. Just solve for v2.

This is the equation for conservation of momentum. It holds in both elastic and inelastic collisions. It's also valid in relativity if the m's are what some people call 'relativistic mass.' In such cases the m's are conserved. I.e. the sum of the m's before the collision is the sum of the m's after the collision.



Pete
Doesn't the ' mean prime???

What is the ' there for?

What is the equation for completely inelastic collisions?
 
  • #4
pmb


Originally posted by marshall4
Doesn't the ' mean prime???

What is the ' there for?

What is the equation for completely inelastic collisions?
Actually I meant to write a quote, i.e. "relativistic mass"

I want to applogize. I made an error in that last post. I made a web page on all of this a few weeks ago. See

www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/inertial_mass.htm

The equation I posted above should have read

m1v1 + m2v2 = m3v3 + m4v4

This will hold in all collisions both eleastic and inelastic, and in both Newtonian mechanics and relativistic mechanics.

Particle N with mass mN and velocity vN. The mass may change in the collision.

Pete
 
  • #5
nautica
The ' is only there to differeniate the original value from the final value.

Nautica
 

Related Threads on Collisions formula

  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
3K
Replies
4
Views
2K
Replies
2
Views
563
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
7K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
Top