Finding the Mass of a Puck in a 2-Dimensional Collision

In summary, the problem involves two pucks colliding, one with a known mass and initial and final velocities, and the other with unknown mass but also known initial and final velocities. The goal is to find the mass of the second puck. The method used by the student was to use components and the equation (m1x)(v1x) +(m2x)(v2x) = (m1x)(v1fx) +(m2x)(v2fx) and (m1y)(v1y) +(m2y)(v2y) = (m1y)(v1fy) +(m2y)(v2fy) but did not get the correct answer. Another student suggests using
SwAnK
having trouble with this problem in my textbook

two pucks collide, puck A has a mass of 0.32kg, and an initial velocity of 0.04 m/s [54 N of E], and a final velocity of 0.034 m/s [N]
puck B's mass is unknown but has an initial velocity of 0.038 m/s [S of W] and a final velocity of 0.028 m/s [46.5 N of E]. Puck B's mass needs to be found.

Wheni tried it i used components but i did not get the right answer, the answer in the back of the book is 0.22kg. Does anyone else get this answer? if so could you explain how?? thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
what equations did you use...i'm assuming pure elastic?

yeah i assumed that it was pure elastic, the equation used was..

(m1x)(v1x) +(m2x)(v2x) = (m1x)(v1fx) +(m2x)(v2fx)

(m1y)(v1y) +(m2y)(v2y) = (m1y)(v1fy) +(m2y)(v2fy)

Could you show me your complete procedure?

try using the conservation of Energy rather than momentum...cuz with teh Cons of Mom...it'd be best if you showed those angles...sorry lazy to draw it out myself.

bah! sorry for wasting your time, i measured the one angle wrong it was 45 instead of 54! thanks for your time though, with that change the problem does work out to the solution in the back.

1. What is a collision in 2 dimensions?

A collision in 2 dimensions refers to the interaction between two objects in a two-dimensional space. It occurs when two objects come into contact with each other and their momentum and energy are exchanged.

2. How is momentum conserved in a 2-dimensional collision?

In a 2-dimensional collision, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This means that the sum of the individual momentums of the objects involved in the collision will be equal before and after the collision.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in 2 dimensions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects involved will retain their original shapes and there will be no loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and there is a loss of kinetic energy as the objects involved may deform or stick together after the collision.

4. How can we calculate the velocity of an object after a collision?

The velocity of an object after a collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, where m is the mass and v is the velocity of each object before and after the collision.

5. Can the angle of collision affect the outcome of a 2-dimensional collision?

Yes, the angle of collision can affect the outcome of a 2-dimensional collision. The direction and magnitude of the velocity vectors for each object can change depending on the angle of collision, which in turn can affect the final velocities of the objects after the collision.