1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collisions of molecules

1. May 27, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] collisions of molecules..

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a 10cm^3 box contains nitrogen at 20degreeC. What is the rate of collisions on one wal of he box.

2. Relevant equations
    molecular mass of N2=28u
    avagadros number=6.02x10^23mol^-1
    rate of collisions=(1/2)(N/V)Av
    3. The attempt at a solution
    omg i got no idea where even start with this one... im pretty sure i could do it if they gave me the mass of the gas or the number of molecules...... but im just stuck.... y do they give me avagdros number????? im srry im just really confused bout this one... anyone plz help??
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2
    n=N/Na?? but i dont know n???
  4. May 27, 2008 #3
    Remember, an ideal gas (such as N2) has a molar volume of 22,400 cubic centimeters per mole at STP (Avogadro's Law).

We know the volume of the box, so we know how many moles of ideal gas there are at 20°C, so we know how many molecules there are.
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  5. May 27, 2008 #4
    oh ok ty
  6. May 28, 2008 #5
    You're very welcome.
    Once you're satisfied with the problem, please change the title to "[SOLVED] Collisions of molecules".
    Good luck!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?