Solve Collisions Problem: Homework on Mass & Velocities

• Thread starter Oatmeal11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an unstable nucleus that disintegrates into three particles, with two particles given mass and initial velocities. The task is to find the velocity of the third particle, assuming mass conservation. The solution involves using the equation m1v1i+m2v2i=m1v1f+m2v2f and calculating the mass and velocities of the third particle.
Oatmeal11

Homework Statement

An unstable nucleus of mass 1.70 10^-26 kg, initially at rest at the origin of a coordinate system, disintegrates into three particles. One particle, having a mass of m1 = 5.40 10^-27 kg moves in the positive y-direction with speed v1 = 7.20 106 m/s. Another particle, of mass m2 = 8.40 10^-27 kg moves in the positive x-direction with speed v2 = 4.40 106 m/s. Find the velocity of the third particle. (Assume that mass is conserved in this process. Indicate the direction with the sign of your answer.)

Homework Equations

m1v1i+m2v2i=m1v1f+m2v2f

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the mass of the third particle 1.7x10^-27-(5.4x10^-27+8.4x10^-27)=3.2x10^-27
I split it into X and Y components, and starting with the y i plugged into the equjation: 1.7X10^-26(0)=5.4x10^-27(7.2x10^6) + 0 + 3.2x10^-27v2f
V2f=-1.215x10^-7
I would repeat the same process for the x direction, but i tried entering this response into the y answer spot and it was incorrect. Please help me see what I did wrong and how to figure it out!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oatmeal11 said:
I found the mass of the third particle 1.7x10^-27-(5.4x10^-27+8.4x10^-27)=3.2x10^-27
I split it into X and Y components, and starting with the y i plugged into the equjation: 1.7X10^-26(0)=5.4x10^-27(7.2x10^6) + 0 + 3.2x10^-27v2f
V2f=-1.215x10^-7
Your method is fine, just redo the calculation. Mind your exponents.

1. What is a collision?

A collision occurs when two or more objects come into contact with each other and exert forces on one another.

2. How is momentum involved in collisions?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. In collisions, the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, according to the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision?

The mass and velocity of the objects involved, as well as the angle and type of collision (elastic or inelastic), can all affect the outcome of a collision. Other factors such as friction and external forces may also play a role.

4. How do you solve collisions problems involving mass and velocities?

To solve collisions problems, you can use the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision, as well as any changes in kinetic energy.

5. Can you provide an example of a collision problem?

Sure, an example of a collision problem could be two cars colliding at an intersection. The mass and initial velocities of the cars, as well as the angle of collision and type of collision (elastic or inelastic), would need to be taken into account in order to determine the outcome of the collision.