Collisions Toolkit: Impulse, Momentum & Energy Formulas

In summary, the formulas provided are useful for solving collisions problems in the "Homework" forums. They are based on the concept of a collision being a "Newton 3 event" where equal and opposite impact forces result in equal and opposite impulses on the colliding objects. The first formula calculates the collision impulse for perfectly elastic collisions, while the second formula calculates it for perfectly inelastic collisions. Additionally, the post collision momentum and energy equations apply to both colliding objects. Finally, the energy loss during perfectly inelastic collisions can be calculated using the last formula.
Just thought I'd post a couple of formulas which I have found useful when assisting (or should I say attempting to assist!) with collisions problems in the "Homework" forums. These formulas work on the basic premise that a collision is essentially a "Newton 3 event" in which equal and opposite impact forces act for a (usually) short period of time resulting in equal and opposite impulses on the colliding objects.

Collision impulse during perfectly elastic collisions:

$$ Δp = 2μΔv $$
where μ is the reduced mass of the colliding objects:
$$ μ=\frac{m_1m_2}{m_1+m_2} $$
and Δv is their relative velocity along the line of impact.

Collision impulse during perfectly inelastic collisions:

$$ Δp = μΔv $$

Post collision momentum and energy (applies to both colliding objects)

$$ P_f=P_i\pmΔp $$
$$ E_f=\frac{(P_i\pmΔp)^2}{2m} $$

Energy loss during perfectly inelastic collisions

$$ ΔE = ½μΔv^2 $$

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing!

1. What is the Collisions Toolkit?

The Collisions Toolkit is a set of formulas and concepts used to analyze and understand collisions in physics. It includes equations for calculating impulse, momentum, and energy before and after a collision.

2. Why is it important to study collisions?

Collisions are important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and even biology. By understanding the principles behind collisions, we can better predict and control the outcomes of various events and processes.

3. What is impulse and how is it related to collisions?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a specific time interval. In collisions, impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied over the time of impact. This helps us understand how the momentum of an object changes during a collision.

4. How do momentum and energy play a role in collisions?

Momentum and energy are both conserved quantities in collisions. This means that the total momentum and total energy before and after a collision are the same. By using the appropriate equations, we can calculate the momentum and energy of objects involved in a collision and determine how they are transferred or transformed during the event.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Collisions Toolkit?

The Collisions Toolkit is used in a variety of fields, including automotive safety, sports, and engineering. It helps us understand the forces and energy involved in collisions, which is crucial for designing safer vehicles, improving sports equipment, and creating more efficient machinery.