Calculating Post-Collision Speeds of Billiard Balls

In summary, two balls of equal mass undergo a head-on collision. The speed of ball 1 is initially 2m/s, but after the collision it is -3m/s. Ball 2 is at -3m/s, but after the collision it is 2m/s.
pupatel
:confused:

I was wondering if someone can help me with this problem:

Two biilard balls of equal mass undergo a perfectly elastic head-on collison. If the speed of one ball was initially 2.00 m/s and of the other 3.00 m/s in the opposite direction, what will be their speeds after the collision??

Physics news on Phys.org
See this:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/colsta.html#c2
In short - the speed of the first ball would be 3 m/s and the speed of the second ball would be 2 m/s.

Conservation of momentum:
[tex]m_1v_1 + m_2v_2 = m_1u_1 + m_2u_2[/tex]

[tex]m_1 = m_2[/tex]

[tex]v_1 + v_2 = u_1 + u_2[/tex]

[tex](v_1 + v_2)^2 = (u_1 + u_2)^2[/tex]

[tex]v_1^2 + 2v_1v_2 + v_2^2 = u_1^2 + 2u_1u_2 + u_2^2[/tex]

Conservation of energy:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_1v_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2 = \frac{1}{2}m_1u_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_2u_2^2[/tex]

[tex]m_1 = m_2[/tex]

[tex]v_1^2 + v_2^2 = u_1^2 + u_2^2[/tex]

So we have:
[tex]v_1^2 + 2v_1v_2 + v_2^2 = u_1^2 + 2u_1u_2 + u_2^2[/tex]

[tex]v_1^2 + v_2^2 = u_1^2 + u_2^2[/tex]

Substract them:
[tex]2v_1v_2 = 2u_1u_2[/tex]

[tex]u_1 = \frac{v_1v_2}{u_2} = v_1 + v_2 - u_2[/tex]

[tex]u_1 = v_1v_2 = v_1u_2 + v_2u_2 - u_2^2[/tex]

[tex]u_2^2 - (v_1 + v_2)u_2 + v_1v_2 = 0[/tex]

A quick inspection would reveal that the solutions to that are v1 and v2. v2 is the speed before collision, so we are left with v1. Hence u1 = v2 and u2 = v1. There are probably much easier ways to come to this but it's late. :zzz:

Last edited:
I am still confused...I use these equations but it doesn't give me the right answer...

pupatel said:
:confused:

I was wondering if someone can help me with this problem:

Two biilard balls of equal mass undergo a perfectly elastic head-on collison. If the speed of one ball was initially 2.00 m/s and of the other 3.00 m/s in the opposite direction, what will be their speeds after the collision??
They will interchange speeds. Ball 1 was at 2m/s, after collision is -3m/s. Ball 2 was at -3m/s, after collision is 2m/s.

Edit: I notice Chen already gave this answer. Here's another derivation:
[tex]v_1+v_2=u_1+u_2\mbox{ and }v_1^2+v_2^2=u_1^2+u_2^2[/tex]
Move them around a bit:
[tex]v_1-u_1=u_2-v_2\mbox{ and }v_1^2-u_1^2=u_2^2-v_2^2[/tex]
Divide these last two equations and get:
[tex]v_1+u_1=v_2+u_2[/tex]
Subtract this from the first equation and also add it to the first equation, get:
[tex]v_2=u_1\mbox{ and }v_1=u_2[/tex]

Last edited:
I knew there was an easier way to get to that. :tongue:

What is the Collison of Billiard Balls?

The collision of billiard balls is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more billiard balls come into contact with each other, resulting in a transfer of momentum and energy between the balls.

What factors affect the Collison of Billiard Balls?

The factors that affect the collision of billiard balls include the mass and velocity of the balls, the angle of impact, and the elasticity of the balls and the surface they are colliding on.

Why is the Collison of Billiard Balls important?

The collision of billiard balls is important in the game of billiards as it is the basis for strategic shots and can greatly impact the outcome of a game. It is also important in physics as it demonstrates principles of momentum and energy conservation.

What happens to the energy during a Collison of Billiard Balls?

During a collision of billiard balls, some of the kinetic energy is transferred between the balls, while some is dissipated as heat due to friction. The total energy of the system remains constant, as dictated by the laws of conservation of energy.

How do scientists study the Collison of Billiard Balls?

Scientists study the collision of billiard balls through experiments in controlled environments, using specialized equipment such as high-speed cameras and sensors to measure the velocity and momentum of the balls. Mathematical models and computer simulations are also used to further understand and analyze the phenomenon.