1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collission of balls

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two equal balls are in contact on a table and are in equillibrium. A third ball collides with them simultaneously, symetrically and remains at rest after the impact. The coefficient of restitution is :

A)2/3
    B)3/2
    C)1/3
    D)1/2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i hav tried by combining the masses and velocities of the two balls at rest then found e. like the collision of two bodies ( considering two bodies as one ) .

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You have 2 equations that you would satisfy don't you?

Conservation of momentum which gives you the relationship between the initial velocity of the first ball and the final velocity of the second 2.

Then you have the equation for the coefficient of restitution that relates the before and after velocities of the 2 bodies. (This is simplified by the fact that before the collision only 1 was in motion. And after the collision the first becomes stationary.)

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    but there are two balls lying at rest do i hav to consider the motion of only one of thm or take them whole as one ???

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    i hav got e=1/2
    but thts wrong ans . Correct ans . is 2/3
    is ans given in book wrong or i am wrong ??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?