1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Colloid science

1. Dec 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Lauric acid , CH3(CH2)10CO2H has been dispersed 500cm2+ on the water surface. Assume that the cross-sectional area of acid molecule to be 18.2A2+ and the density of the initial acid is 0.78gcm3-, calculate the amount of acid that dispersed on the surface of water.

* the problem i face is, i don't know how to find number of moles of lauric acid...
    please some one help me...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to determine the minimum amount of lauric acid that will cover the surface of area 500 cm2. Each molecule has a cross sectional area of 18.2 square angstroms. Assume the lauric acid can be described by a sphere of radius √(18.2/∏) in angstroms. Find out the best packing fraction that a single layer array of spheres covering a surface would be and count them for 500 cm2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook