1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Colombo's Law Gizmo

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write the equation that you determined from your results that shows the relationship between F and d for two charged objects.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have determined a constant value that relates force to seperation distance. The value is 8500 N/m^2
    I'm assuming the equation is (8500 N/m^2)/r^2, where the 8500 N/m^2 is equal to the two charges and coloumb's constant multiplied together. and r is the distance between the two charges.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Did you draw a F versus 1/d2 graph with your data?

4. Nov 7, 2014 #3
    First I drew F vs. 1/d graph which gave me a hyperbola and then my F vs. 1/d^2 graph gave me a linear line and i have calculated the slope of that linear line to be 8500 which has some percent error.

5. Nov 7, 2014 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Yes, that shows that the relationship between F and 1/d2 is
    linear or that there is a directly proportional relationship if the y-intercept
    is close to zero newton. The gradient is then the proportional constant,
    which you determined as 8500. Have a careful look at its unit though.
    The empirical equation (supply the units of your constant in the brackets)
    is then
    F = 8500 ( ) 1/d2 or r2

6. Nov 7, 2014 #5
    For it's units i get N/m^2 but when i actually multiply coulomb's constant and both q's together i get units of Nm^2 my slope should have the same units as the actual theoretical k.

7. Nov 7, 2014 #6

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The units of the independent variable is per meter square. So the units of the gradient will be N/m-2 which comes to Nm2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted