Colombo's Law Gizmo - Force & Distance Equation

• Thread starter garr6120
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the equation that was determined from the results is F = 8500 (N/m^2)/r^2, where 8500 N/m^2 is equal to the two charges and Coulomb's constant multiplied together and r is the distance between the two charges. The gradient of the linear line on the F vs. 1/d^2 graph represents the proportional constant of 8500 N/m^2, which has the same units as Coulomb's constant.
garr6120

Homework Statement

Write the equation that you determined from your results that shows the relationship between F and d for two charged objects.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have determined a constant value that relates force to separation distance. The value is 8500 N/m^2
I'm assuming the equation is (8500 N/m^2)/r^2, where the 8500 N/m^2 is equal to the two charges and coloumb's constant multiplied together. and r is the distance between the two charges.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a F versus 1/d2 graph with your data?

First I drew F vs. 1/d graph which gave me a hyperbola and then my F vs. 1/d^2 graph gave me a linear line and i have calculated the slope of that linear line to be 8500 which has some percent error.

Yes, that shows that the relationship between F and 1/d2 is
linear or that there is a directly proportional relationship if the y-intercept
is close to zero Newton. The gradient is then the proportional constant,
which you determined as 8500. Have a careful look at its unit though.
The empirical equation (supply the units of your constant in the brackets)
is then
F = 8500 ( ) 1/d2 or r2

For it's units i get N/m^2 but when i actually multiply coulomb's constant and both q's together i get units of Nm^2 my slope should have the same units as the actual theoretical k.

The units of the independent variable is per meter square. So the units of the gradient will be N/m-2 which comes to Nm2

1. What is Colombo's Law Gizmo?

Colombo's Law Gizmo is a scientific tool used to study the relationship between force and distance in an object. It helps in understanding the concept of work and energy in physics.

2. How does the Colombo's Law Gizmo work?

The Colombo's Law Gizmo consists of a spring, a force sensor, and a distance scale. The spring is attached to the force sensor which measures the amount of force applied. As the distance scale is moved, the force sensor measures the force exerted by the spring, helping in calculating the work done.

3. What is the equation used in Colombo's Law Gizmo?

The equation used in Colombo's Law Gizmo is Force x Distance = Work. This equation states that the amount of work done on an object is directly proportional to the applied force and the distance over which the force is applied.

4. What are the applications of Colombo's Law Gizmo?

The Colombo's Law Gizmo is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics to understand the relationship between force and distance. It is also used in experiments to study the concept of work and energy.

5. How accurate is Colombo's Law Gizmo in measuring force and distance?

The Colombo's Law Gizmo is a highly accurate tool in measuring force and distance. It is designed to provide precise readings and can be calibrated for different units of measurement. However, the accuracy may vary based on the quality and condition of the gizmo.