1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Color and light

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1
    I have a question which asks me to estimate the color of a compound in white light. I can easily get the wavelength (hc/dE) as 460nm, which agrees with the book. Looking at a spectrum list that would seem to fall in the blue range, but the book is saying it would be orange because blue is subtracted. What's going on here? I clearly am not understanding something fundamental about light.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The wavelength of what? The wavelength at which the compound absorbs light?

4. Feb 23, 2014 #3
    That's part of my comprehension problem; I'm not sure. All the example I'm working through states is "The wavelength 460nm corresponds to blue light; so the molecule is likely to appear orange in white light (since blue is subtracted)." I understand the first half of that sentence, but not the last half.

5. Feb 23, 2014 #4

DrClaude

My question was a genuine question (not one to make you think). I get the numerator hc, but what is dE?

My guess is that it corresponds to the energy of a transition in the compound. Therefore, if you shine white light (i.e., the full visible spectrum), what happens to light at 460 nm?

6. Feb 23, 2014 #5
    The dE is a delta-E (la-tex issues using a tablet computer); which is a change in energy.

I think I follow you now though, if the molecule absorbs blue light it would reflect all other light and appear orange.

Thanks!

7. Feb 23, 2014 #6
    Absorbs might not be the correct word to use there, the frequency would cancel out between the compound and the white-light.

8. Feb 23, 2014 #7

DrClaude

Absorb is the right word. From of the point of view of the light, "blue is subtracted", as light in that part of the spectrum is absorbed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted