Understanding Color & Temperature

In summary: Yes, there are many excellent references that can be found online. Some good ones include Understanding Color by Dr. David Munsell, The Science of Color by Dr. Sylvia S. Plachy, and The Color of Life by Dr. James H. Green.
revv
In my quest to understanding radiation of the electromagnetic spectrum and the things around me I would like to confirm if I understand this correctly...

- The color of objects around us doesn't always mean they are hotter than another just because of the color it has, for example: A blue balloon isn't hotter than a red balloon (even though blue light IS hotter than red light?) they are equal in temperature and the only reason for the color is from dyes in the balloons is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
revv said:
In my quest to understanding radiation of the electromagnetic spectrum and the things around me I would like to confirm if I understand this correctly...

- The color of objects around us doesn't always mean they are hotter than another just because of the color it has, for example: A blue balloon isn't hotter than a red balloon (even though blue light IS hotter than red light?) they are equal in temperature and the only reason for the color is from dyes in the balloons is this correct?
Reflected light is different from the colour from a black body, I made the same mistake when I first looked into it. Sophicenture explains this very well. Colour from a black body is related to temperature, reflected light is related to the chromophores

pinball1970 said:
Reflected light is different from the colour from a black body, I made the same mistake when I first looked into it. Sophicenture explains this very well. Colour from a black body is related to temperature, reflected light is related to the chromophores

I see, I have NEVER heard of Chromophores before!

But the light reflected from objects is it still electromagnetic radiation? I think I understand that the color of an object is the one that is reflected and the other ones absorbed but is the same thing happening with Chromophores?

Well from this description of Chromophores on wikipedia I think I understand a little more but not entirely sure, it's a new word for me.

"Leaves change color in the Fall because their chromophores (chlorophyll molecules) break down and stop absorbing red and yellow light"

Is Chromophores just a change in how things absorb the light over time? Like They go from green to red and yellow because of chromophores?

Is chromophores only related to biological matter?

Last edited:
revv said:
Well from this description of Chromophores on wikipedia I think I understand a little more but not entirely sure, it's a new word for me.

"Leaves change color in the Fall because their chromophores (chlorophyll molecules) break down and stop absorbing red and yellow light"

Is Chromophores just a change in how things absorb the light over time? Like They go from green to red and yellow because of chromophores?

Is chromophores only related to biological matter?
Yes it's all still magnetic radiation interacting with cells in our retina that tell us what colour something is. It does not necessarily have to be biological, dyes inks ores oxides and certain salts all can be coloured as well as trees flowers people and birds.

A LED bulb is quite cold, despite of producing a "white" light.

Demystifier said:
A LED bulb is quite cold, despite of producing a "white" light.
I don’t know enough of the physics or electronics.

All I know is an LED unlike incandescent does not convert much of the energy/ electricity to heat which is one of the reasons they are far more energy efficient.

Or do you mean warm and cool as in CCT?

It’s the wrong way round for lamps, cool such as 6500 has higher CCT than a “warmer” light which tend to be in the 2-3K range.

"It does not necessarily have to be biological, dyes inks ores oxides and certain salts all can be coloured as well as trees flowers people and birds. "And all of those mentioned things is the result of chromophores?

If the color of an object isn't because of heat is it chromophores?

Last edited:
revv said:
"It does not necessarily have to be biological, dyes inks ores oxides and certain salts all can be coloured as well as trees flowers people and birds. "And all of those mentioned things is the result of chromophores?

If the color of an object isn't because of heat is it chromophores?
Often but not always. For instance the colors of a soap bubble (or an LCD screen for that matter) are due to interference and geometry. This is a very large subject, worthy of a life of study...
Can anyone suggest a really good elementary reference?

1. What is the relationship between color and temperature?

The relationship between color and temperature is that warmer colors, such as reds, oranges, and yellows, are associated with higher temperatures, while cooler colors, like blues and greens, are associated with lower temperatures.

2. How does color affect our perception of temperature?

Color can affect our perception of temperature because our brains have been conditioned to associate certain colors with certain temperatures. For example, seeing a bright red object may make us think of heat, while seeing a cool blue object may make us think of coldness.

3. Is there a scientific explanation for why certain colors are associated with certain temperatures?

Yes, there is a scientific explanation for this. The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light it reflects, while temperature is related to the amount of energy an object has. Warmer colors have shorter wavelengths and therefore more energy, while cooler colors have longer wavelengths and less energy.

4. Can color be used to manipulate our perception of temperature?

Yes, color can be used to manipulate our perception of temperature. For example, in interior design, warmer colors like red or orange can make a room feel cozier and warmer, while cooler colors like blue or green can make a room feel more open and cooler.

5. How does understanding color and temperature benefit us?

Understanding color and temperature can benefit us in many ways. It can help us create more visually appealing designs, it can aid in creating a comfortable and functional environment, and it can also help us understand the science behind color and temperature and how they affect our daily lives.