Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Color Blind Tests

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to carry out a color blindess test for a biology project. My friend, who is color blind, will help.. but I'm wondering what kind of tets I could use (besides the Ishiraha test).

I'm thinking having two pictures displayed.. and then brining down the "hue" color of a single color in photoshop.. and try to see if he can tell much of a difference between the two images... or see how much the change really affects him?

Any other ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

There have been a few threads on this subject here in biology that you might want to search for. I can't do it right now, or else I'd find them for you.
  4. Nov 13, 2005 #3
    This site goes into alot of detail about colorblindness and it's different forms. It might give you ideas about how to develop a new test. I can't think of any myself.

5. Nov 14, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

I'm colorblind myself and have participated in several genetic/functionally-based experiments that took place at my university. These are a few of the interesting colorblind-related sites I have come across. Site 1, site 2, site 3.

As far as coming up with your own test, you may not be able to come up with anything completely novel, but you sound like you're on the right track. Also, to do it properly you'll need several individuals that are affected with the same type of colorblindness and several controls, plus try not to make the endpoint too subtle, it should be an obvious difference in perception that differentiates the colorblind from normals.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?