Testing Your Color Vision: What Do You See?

In summary, the conversation discusses different images that test for color blindness, specifically the Ishihara test and images found on Wikipedia. The Ishihara test is considered the "industry standard" and is used in both clinical and research settings to diagnose color blindness. The Wikipedia images are described as difficult to identify and too bright, while the Ishihara test is considered more reliable. One participant mentions being colorblind and missing the gene for green cones.
Biology news on Phys.org
the first reference was okay.. I can see all the numbers as normal vision.

The wikipedia images appear faint.. the colors (of the numbers) in each image appear to be (1) light blue (2) pink (3) green and (4) purple. After staring at them for awhile I was able to identify 3 out of 4 correctly (when you click on image they give the answer)

The wikipedia images are really bad, they are much to bright. The Ishihara test should be the way to go. But on a computer monitor you never know for sure, because of the different kinds of monitors and the different video settings.

Wow, those wikipedia ones are pretty subtle all right. I've been tested before and have good colour vision (you need it to work in the photo industry), but I can barely see them enough to make out the right numbers.

The Ishihara tests are the "industry standard" and are used in both clinical and research seetings to dignose the type of colorblindness on has. The wikipedia images are pretty bad, but the accompanying info seems correct. I am a deuteranope who is missing the gene for green cones (I had the testing done as part of a research project on campus).

1. What is color vision testing?

Color vision testing is a method used to assess an individual's ability to perceive and distinguish between different colors. It is often used to diagnose color vision deficiencies, also known as color blindness.

2. How is color vision testing conducted?

Color vision testing can be conducted using various methods, such as the Ishihara Color Test, Farnsworth D-15 Test, or the Color Arrangement Test. These tests typically involve showing a series of colored images or objects and asking the individual to identify or arrange them in a specific order.

3. What is considered normal color vision?

Normal color vision is the ability to perceive and distinguish between all the colors of the visible light spectrum, including red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet. It is estimated that about 8% of men and 0.5% of women have some form of color vision deficiency.

4. What are the different types of color vision deficiencies?

The most common types of color vision deficiencies are red-green color blindness and blue-yellow color blindness. Red-green color blindness is when an individual has trouble distinguishing between shades of red and green, while blue-yellow color blindness affects the ability to differentiate between shades of blue and yellow.

5. Can color vision deficiencies be treated?

Currently, there is no known cure for color vision deficiencies. However, some individuals may benefit from using special lenses or glasses that can enhance their ability to perceive colors. It is important to note that these treatments do not "cure" color blindness, but rather help individuals better distinguish between certain colors.