Investigating Color in Chemistry Lab: My Experience

In summary, the conversation is about a color test in a chemistry lab that did not produce the expected blue color. The person was forced to believe it was blue, but they question if a colorimeter or other device could provide data on the wavelength to confirm this. The possibility of posting in a chemistry section is also mentioned.
goku
in my chemistry lab we had a kind of color test.
the thing was supposed to come as blue according to the lab manual. . It did not. to me there was no color.however my teachers forced me to believe what i was looking at was blue,supposedly "it is very faint". that was not mentioned in the manual.

but colors are wavelengths right.
so can we use a colorimeter or anything to get some kind of data in wavelenght suggesting this can not be blue.

is there any other way? i don't really know what the compound we r looking at.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maby you would be better off putting this in the chemistry section. There are devices that will measure wavelength for you, but I don't know what to suggest.

It is understandable that you would have concerns about the color test in your chemistry lab. As you mentioned, colors are wavelengths, and it is important to accurately identify and measure them in experiments. It is also important to follow the instructions and procedures outlined in the lab manual, as they have been carefully designed to ensure reliable results.

However, in this case, it seems that the color of the compound did not match the expected blue color. It is possible that the compound may have been affected by external factors, such as light or temperature, which can alter its color. This could explain why the color was faint and not mentioned in the manual.

Using a colorimeter or other instruments to measure the wavelength of the compound may provide more accurate data and help identify if the color is indeed blue. Additionally, consulting with your teacher or lab instructor about the compound and its properties may also provide more insight into the expected color and any potential variations.

In any case, it is important to communicate your concerns and observations with your teacher or lab instructor. They can provide guidance and clarification on the experiment and help ensure that the results are accurate and reliable. Keep up the curiosity and critical thinking in your experiments, as it is a valuable skill in the field of chemistry.

1. What is the purpose of investigating color in the chemistry lab?

The purpose of investigating color in the chemistry lab is to study the relationship between the color of a substance and its chemical properties. This can provide valuable insights into the composition and behavior of a substance, and can also be used to identify unknown substances.

2. How is color measured in a chemistry lab?

Color can be measured in a chemistry lab using various methods, such as spectrophotometry, colorimetry, and chromatography. These techniques involve using instruments or chemical reactions to determine the specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted by a substance, which can then be used to quantify its color.

3. What factors can affect the color of a substance in the lab?

The color of a substance in the lab can be affected by various factors, including its chemical composition, concentration, temperature, and the presence of other substances. Light source and observer perception can also play a role in how a substance's color appears.

4. How can investigating color in the chemistry lab be useful in everyday life?

Investigating color in the chemistry lab can have many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it can be used in the food industry to determine the freshness or ripeness of fruits and vegetables, or in the production of cosmetics to ensure consistent color in products. It can also be used in the art industry to identify pigments and assess the authenticity of paintings.

5. What are some potential challenges when investigating color in the chemistry lab?

Some potential challenges when investigating color in the chemistry lab include the need for precise and calibrated instruments, the potential for human error in observing and recording color, and the difficulty in reproducing consistent color in experiments. Additionally, certain substances may have complex or unpredictable color properties, making it challenging to interpret their color in relation to their chemical properties.