Lock Symbol Color: Why Does It Change?

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
In summary: The 'shiny logo' means its had more than 50 replies or 500 views if I remember correctly. There was at one point a little table with all the symbols in telling people what they meant.
jostpuur
Why do the lock symbols in front of the thread topics sometimes show as black and white, and sometimes not?

I noticed, that the black and white version never shows if one isn't logged in.

For some time I thought that the black and white lock appears to me if I have posted myself into that thread, however now I can see a locked thread where I did post into, but it's not black and white.

Physics news on Phys.org
What color do you see it as other than B&W? You mean the actual lock on the icon, right? It's always the same B&W color for me.

I always see the key on the lock symbol as having a blue handle and a gold..."key part." I have never seen the whole symbol as B&W.

G01 said:
I always see the key on the lock symbol as having a blue handle and a gold..."key part." I have never seen the whole symbol as B&W.

I see that one that way too (that's the symbol at the top of the page if you open a locked thread). I thought he meant the little padlock icon to the left of the thread list, which is always black and white for me (on whatever color envelope).

Moonbear said:
I see that one that way too (that's the symbol at the top of the page if you open a locked thread). I thought he meant the little padlock icon to the left of the thread list, which is always black and white for me (on whatever color envelope).

Oh ok. That padlock is also black and white for me. I guess the OP will have to specify which symbol he meant.

Moonbear said:

Yes I meant the smaller symbol in the thread list, not the bigger one that has key.

Sometimes even the envelope is black and white too.

jostpuur said:
Yes I meant the smaller symbol in the thread list, not the bigger one that has key.

Sometimes even the envelope is black and white too.

I've never seen that. Hmm...no idea. Guess we'll have to wait for the better troubleshooters than me to help. My guess is it's something on your end, but someone might be able to help you troubleshoot that better.

The only time the envelope is black and white for me is when I've posted in the locked thread.

Conveniently there were two next to each other on this forum.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5516/forumlocksmp8.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted in the "Israel's Gaza fuel cuts" thread, but it doesn't show black and white. However I now noticed that it has a kind of shiny logo instead, that probably has something to do with the popularity of the thread.

The 'shiny logo' means its had more than 50 replies or 500 views if I remember correctly. There was at one point a little table with all the symbols in telling people what they meant.

1. Why does the color of the lock symbol change?

The color of the lock symbol changes to indicate the security level of the website. It is used to visually communicate to the user whether the website is secure or not.

2. What are the different colors of the lock symbol and what do they mean?

The most common colors for the lock symbol are green, yellow, and red. Green indicates that the website is secure and has a valid SSL certificate. Yellow means that the website is secure, but the certificate is either expired or not trusted. Red indicates that the website is not secure and should not be trusted.

3. How does the color of the lock symbol affect my browsing experience?

The color of the lock symbol can affect your browsing experience by providing visual cues about the security of the website. It can help you make informed decisions about sharing personal information or making purchases on the website.

4. Can the color of the lock symbol be faked?

Yes, it is possible for the color of the lock symbol to be faked. Scammers may use fake SSL certificates to make a website appear secure when it is not. It is important to always check the URL and look for other signs of a secure website, such as the HTTPS protocol.

5. Is the color of the lock symbol the only indicator of a secure website?

No, the color of the lock symbol is not the only indicator of a secure website. Other indicators include the HTTPS protocol, a valid SSL certificate, and a trust seal from a reputable security company. It is important to look for multiple signs of security when browsing the internet.