Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Color of lock symbol

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    Why do the lock symbols in front of the thread topics sometimes show as black and white, and sometimes not?

I noticed, that the black and white version never shows if one isn't logged in.

For some time I thought that the black and white lock appears to me if I have posted myself into that thread, however now I can see a locked thread where I did post into, but it's not black and white.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What color do you see it as other than B&W? You mean the actual lock on the icon, right? It's always the same B&W color for me.

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I always see the key on the lock symbol as having a blue handle and a gold..."key part." I have never seen the whole symbol as B&W.

5. Nov 13, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see that one that way too (that's the symbol at the top of the page if you open a locked thread). I thought he meant the little padlock icon to the left of the thread list, which is always black and white for me (on whatever color envelope).

6. Nov 13, 2007 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh ok. That padlock is also black and white for me. I guess the OP will have to specify which symbol he meant.

7. Nov 14, 2007 #6
    Yes I meant the smaller symbol in the thread list, not the bigger one that has key.

Sometimes even the envelope is black and white too.

8. Nov 14, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never seen that. Hmm...no idea. Guess we'll have to wait for the better troubleshooters than me to help. My guess is it's something on your end, but someone might be able to help you troubleshoot that better.

9. Nov 14, 2007 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only time the envelope is black and white for me is when I've posted in the locked thread.

Conveniently there were two next to each other on this forum.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  10. Nov 14, 2007 #9
    I posted in the "Israel's Gaza fuel cuts" thread, but it doesn't show black and white. However I now noticed that it has a kind of shiny logo instead, that probably has something to do with the popularity of the thread.

11. Nov 14, 2007 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 'shiny logo' means its had more than 50 replies or 500 views if I remember correctly. There was at one point a little table with all the symbols in telling people what they meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?