What is the color of oxygen gas?

In summary, the blue color of liquid oxygen is due to the presence of unpaired electrons, which also give it magnetic properties. In gaseous form, oxygen is colorless because of a lower concentration of unpaired electrons. The color may also be influenced by the presence of ozone and the excitation of oxygen molecules by photons. The color disappears when the liquid is passed through activated silica gel, possibly due to a change in equilibrium. The relationship between electron pairing and color is still unclear and may be due to the formation of weakly bonded molecule pairs with antiparallel spins.
paragchitnis
The liquid oxygen is blue in color because of unpaired electron in it. (According to molecular orbital theory) In gaseous state also it has unpaired electron but it is colorless gas. Why?
Why color appear due to presence of unpaired electron?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The colour appears because of a minute concentration of ozone, according to what I heard. The unpaired electron is responsible for the magnetic properties of the liquid.

Why does the blue colour appear due to minute presence of ozone? I have heard only about unpaired electronic arrangement as the reason of the presence of colour. My concept may be wrong! Will you explain?

It may also be due to exitation of the oxygen molecules by photons. Red, yellow ang green peaks in the absorption spectrum could give rise to the blue colour. The colour dissapears when the liquid is passed through activated silica gel, so there might be some kind of equilibrium. Remember that in a liquid, the molecules are much closer than in a gas, so the stronger interaction might produce effects not present in the gaseous phase.

Whether this is accurate or not is beyond my knowledge.

It may be correct. But I am unable to find out the relation between pairing of electrons and the colour of the compound

It might be related to how O2 molecules form weakly bonded molecule pairs whose spins, and therefore magnetic moments, are antiparallel.

1. What is the color of oxygen gas?

Oxygen gas is colorless, meaning it has no color at all. It is also odorless and tasteless.

2. Why is oxygen gas colorless?

Oxygen gas is colorless because it has no visible light absorption. This means that it does not absorb any light in the visible spectrum, which is what our eyes perceive as color.

3. Can oxygen gas have a color under certain conditions?

Yes, oxygen gas can have a color under certain conditions. For example, when it is in a liquid or solid form, it can have a pale blue color. This is due to the way it interacts with light in those states.

4. If oxygen gas has no color, how do we see it?

Oxygen gas is invisible to the naked eye, so we cannot see it directly. However, we can see its effects, such as when it combines with other elements to form compounds or when it supports combustion.

5. Is oxygen gas the only gas that is colorless?

No, there are many other gases that are also colorless, including nitrogen, hydrogen, and helium. Like oxygen, these gases do not absorb any visible light, making them appear colorless to us.