Color Singlets Formation

• Thread starter nigelscott
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am trying to conceptually understand how form a color singlet for baryons and mesons. For example, the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isospin shows how to construct the proton and neutron states in terms of isospin and spin. How does one create a color singlet corresponding to these states?

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Each of the valence quarks carry a colour charge. The completely anit-symmetric colour state containing three objects in the fundamental (3) representation of SU(3) is a colour singlet.

ChrisVer
Gold Member
The color (r,g,b) symmetry is pretty much like the flavor symmetry for 3 flavors (u,d,s)...
So you form a singlet out of colors, in the same way you can form a singlet of three flavors (which is antisymmetric) ...

yes, I understand the formation of the color singlet from 3 x 3 x 3 = 1 + 8. What I don't understand is how you create a proton wavefunction that embodies spin 1/2, isospin 1/2 and is colorless. In the Wikipedia article, the wf is the product of 3 matrices. To create a colorless photon do you just multiply these by some kind of 'color' matrix that produces the desired result?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The state belongs to the tensor product space of the single particle state spaces, which in turn are tensor products of the spin, isospin, and colour states, as well as with the spatial state.