Colorado you ELECTED this moron?

• News
  • Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Colorado
In summary, a Colorado congressman told a radio show host that the U.S. could "take out" Islamic holy sites if Muslim fundamentalist terrorists attacked the country with nuclear weapons. Because you know... we live by Hammurabi's code in the 21st century.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Colorado... you ELECTED this moron?!?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/18/congressman.muslims.ap/index.html

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A Colorado congressman told a radio show host that the U.S. could "take out" Islamic holy sites if Muslim fundamentalist terrorists attacked the country with nuclear weapons.

Because you know... we live by Hammurabi's code in the 21st century.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a little broad. A more accurate statement is that one district in Colorado voted for that moron. That doesn't mean that the state, as a whole, routinely elects morons. (:uhh: You're not really going to google on Marilyn Musgrave, are you?)

And in fairness to Tancredo, he's probably a little inexperienced in dealing with foreign policy issues. Normally, he only focuses on eliminating immigration. His comments on nuking Mecca were just his first attempts to branch out into the breadth of issues he'll be required to tackle as President (back in February, he announced that he'll seek the Republican nomination if the other candidates don't adequately address the immigration problem).

No, don't panic. He gets in screaming matches with Karl Rove, so his campaign is doomed. :rofl:

Ive said it before and ill say it again

Democracy doesn't work :P

Last edited by a moderator:
:biggrin: pattylou - you ROCK! :biggrin:

When did tsu get back?

Come on, enigma, you Beltwayers re-elected Marion Barry. Idiots are elected in every election in every part of the country. In every part of the world, for that matter.

loseyourname said:
Come on, enigma, you Beltwayers re-elected Marion Barry. Idiots are elected in every election in every part of the country. In every part of the world, for that matter.
Just look in the White House.:biggrin:

loseyourname said:

Oh, I'm not saying that Colorado has a monopoly of ludicrous politicians... he was just the one who irritated me the most at that moment.

And I'm so glad that I don't live in DC proper and have to put up with the shame that my vote wouldn't have counted enough to keep him out.

Smurf said:
When did tsu get back?

HI SMURF! :biggrin:

While I may come and go, I never really leave. I drift around reading alot, but not posting much. (I really like this new member, pattylou, tho. She's my kind of person! :biggrin:) I've been too busy with my job, our five acre landscaping project, and renovating our house to do much posting.

But I'm like a bad penny. I just keep coming back... :wink:

SAY! Did I miss the picture of you in your graduation dress? :rofl:

Tsu said:
HI SMURF! :biggrin:

While I may come and go, I never really leave. I drift around reading alot, but not posting much. (I really like this new member, pattylou, tho. She's my kind of person! :biggrin:) I've been too busy with my job, our five acre landscaping project, and renovating our house to do much posting.

But I'm like a bad penny. I just keep coming back... :wink:

SAY! Did I miss the picture of you in your graduation dress? :rofl:
:biggrin: Unfortunately I decided to go with something slightly more conservative than a dress. Take a look

Your first gut reaction after seeing the peices-parts of a person who is
the victim of Islamic suicide bombing is to destroy a Muslim holy site.
After all, the idea is to make them understand that things that are
near and dear to them (terrorists) will not be spared. Isn't that exactly
what they do when they bomb mothers, sons and daughters in a
subway tube?

This is what I believe motivated the Colorado representative's ill-conceived
statements. In this respect he's a good representative of my own
FEELINGS, but certianly not my own foreign policy.

Even while its viscerally understandable, this position is not morally
justifiable or even wise. The hate-filled ideology that convinces people
to murder unbelievers wants ever-greater hatred to exist on BOTH sides.
This is exactly what they want to acheive. Just like the KKK or the Black
Panthers trying to trigger a full-on race war, the goal of the Ismaic bomber
is to try to incite a world relgious war in which Islam prevails. This is
suicide-thinking at it's grandest; on the scale of nations.

Just like the Nazi vision of a genetically pure master race ruling a harmonious
world if only the Jews could be eliminated, vast portions of the Islamic world
live under essentially the same delusion- that Jews are the cause of all their
problems and must be destroyed. This is a profoundly dangerous way
of thinking and is setting the Islamic world up for billions of casualties.

I hope they look inward for the answers and soon. As a famous Jew
and revered Muslim prohpet once said "those who live by the sword die
by the sword." It is just as true today as when he said it.

Wait, who did this guy run again? What in the world was the competition if this guy got elected haha

Pengwuino said:
Wait, who did this guy run again? What in the world was the competition if this guy got elected haha
This is why the primaries are so important, here. Except for Denver, proper, and a few other isolated spots (Boulder, Manitou Springs, part of Pueblo), there's almost no chance of a Democrat beating a Republican (although the congresswoman I mentioned before, Musgrave, almost managed to lose to a Democrat).

Unfortunately, turn out for primaries are much lower than for the general election. For some reason, a lot of people just don't see the primaries as being that important. That always leaves a chance someone will wake up a segment of the crazies with a single hot-button topic and sneak through. That's not too bad if you have two healthy parties. By time the general election rolls around, people realize one of the candidates is, uh, a little eccentric? The other candidate's party wins and everyone forgets. It's a little more troublesome when there is no second check on a candidate's qualifications.

BobG said:
That's not too bad if you have two healthy parties.
I'd settle for *one* healthy party at this point.

We have one that's psychotic, and the other that doesn't know what the hell it's doing.

What factors led to the election of this particular politician in Colorado?

The election of a politician is a complex process influenced by a variety of factors such as political party affiliation, campaign strategies, voter demographics, and current events. It is difficult to pinpoint a single reason why a particular candidate was elected in a specific state.

What are some of the policies and beliefs of the elected politician in Colorado?

The policies and beliefs of an elected politician can vary greatly, but some common factors that may have contributed to their election could include their stance on issues such as healthcare, education, and the economy. It is important to research and understand a politician's platform before casting a vote.

What impact has this politician had on the state of Colorado since being elected?

The impact of an elected politician can be significant, as they have the power to shape laws and policies that affect the state and its citizens. It is important to stay informed on the actions and decisions of elected officials and hold them accountable for their actions.

How has the election of this politician affected the political climate in Colorado?

The election of a certain politician can have a ripple effect on the political landscape of a state. It may shift the balance of power, influence the priorities of the state government, and potentially impact future elections. It is important to consider the long-term effects of an election.

What can be done to prevent the election of a "moron" in the future in Colorado?

The best way to prevent the election of a politician who may not align with your beliefs or values is to actively participate in the political process. This can include researching candidates, voting in elections, and getting involved in local and state politics. Education and awareness are key in ensuring that the most qualified and capable individuals are elected to represent the people of Colorado.