Is Colorblindness a Barrier to Pursuing a Major in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential challenges and limitations of being colorblind in the field of physics. It is concluded that being colorblind should not be a problem in most cases, but it may affect certain aspects of the work such as color coding and color-dependent analyses. However, there are still opportunities for colorblind individuals in fields such as engineering, technology, and mathematics.
stevxstev
colorblind and physicist

im colorblind but i have a plan go to a major in physics . its that a problem ? if i take a physics major ? and i want take a minor particle physics / quantum / nuclear physics / a material physics ? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely not.
Quantum physics is about the nanoscopic world, where there is nothing like color.
Using colors in course material is a luxury that is not necessary.

thanks for the answer :)

i want ask again like a nuclear physics its not a problem ?

what subject I should not take? like physics? or chemistry? engineer? I've got a plan I want to get physical but still afraid to go into this field because I am partial - color blind .

Ask currently-employed engineers! If anyone would know about any disadvantages of colorblindness in engineering or physical sciences, working-engineers should know. Also, ask faculty members of physics and engineering departments of colleges.

do you think this problem is color blind? if working in the field of physics?

My dad's cousin is color blind and he's a computer scientist. My dad is color blind and he's a surgeon. I think the only field where being color blind is a problem is the navy.

interhacker said:
My dad's cousin is color blind and he's a computer scientist. My dad is color blind and he's a surgeon. I think the only field where being color blind is a problem is the navy.

uh what about art?

Delong said:
uh what about art?

blind-man-painting-2.jpg

The above painting was made by a person who was born blind and who has never been able to see.

http://www.odditycentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Esref-Armagan-painting.jpg

But ok, let's not derail the thread any further.

This link is about color blind Electrical Engineers: http://www.brighthubengineering.com...es-for-electricians-and-electrical-engineers/

so its not a problem right ?

stevxstev said:

Of course not, don't let something like this get in the way of your dreams and aspirations. Good luck.

stevxstev said:

interhacker said:
Of course not, don't let something like this get in the way of your dreams and aspirations. Good luck.

Read the link in Microsoft's post.

"Color blind" is a generic term for a wide spectrum of conditions. At one end of the scale people can probably distinguish most colors "in real life" except that they perceive them differently from the majority. At the other end, they have no perception of "color" at all, only of brightness.

Some occupations and industries require color blindness tests for safety reasons. This may not be directly connected to the "science" aspect of the job, but simply because hazardous materials are indicated by color codes. For example if you can't tell the red/green color difference between flammable and inflammable gas cylinders and pipelines in your working environment, you are a safety hazard not only to yourself but to everybody else. http://www.boconline.co.uk/en/sheq/...nder-colours/industrial-cylinder-colours.html

In some industries hand tools etc are also color coded, to ensure similar looking tools are not mixed up and used in the wrong situation, where they could cause damage.

Of course you should have aspirations, but make sure they are realistic.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
For example if you can't tell the red/green color difference between flammable and inflammable gas cylinders and pipelines in your working environment, you are a safety hazard not only to yourself but to everybody else.
I think you meant non-flammable rather than inflammable. Flammable and inflammable mean the exact same thing: Easily ignited. Sometimes in- as a prefix means "not" (e.g., infinite, inconsiderate) but other times (e.g., inflammable, invaluable), it means almost the opposite of "not". One could say that the in- prefix is rather inconveniently inconsistent with regard to meaning.

I think the physics is not very use gas, industrial gas and very rarely need physicists, because I wanted a little more to the theoretical or practical. what if I majored in math problem?

stevxstev said:
I think the physics is not very use gas, industrial gas and very rarely need physicists, because I wanted a little more to the theoretical or practical. what if I majored in math problem?

Math is no problem.

physics ? I am so love physics really

D H said:
I think you meant non-flammable rather than inflammable.

True. :blushing:

stevxstev,

micromass gave reference to an article about the use of color coding used in some engineering work. Some occupations require attention to colors and some do not. I suggested talking directly to currently-working engineers ( and now I suggest maybe other types of employed technology and scientific people).

An occupation which uses color coding can be expected not to use certain color-blind people. An occupation whose analyses or products are color-dependant would also be a bad fit for certain or most color-blind people. Someone wanting to perform color matching work for paints, pigments, or dyestuffs needs to be color-vision capable, not color-blind. A microbiology technician or scientist needs to be able to use color for cell staining. A chemist might need to be able to see a clear color change difference for an analytical procedure, and if colorblindness makes that color change or difference seem unclear, then the color-blind chemist cannot do this work satisfactorily. On the other hand, someone doing spectrophotometric work might be fine, since he is mainly interested in measuring absorbance or transmission over either a range of wavelengths or at specific wavelengths; and does not need to use color vision. The instrument will give the needed information.

the answer its ? cannot ? in physics ?

I can share a short story. I had a chemistry professor that is colorblind. He told us a story that when he was going into graduate school (in India), they even made the prospective graduate students take a physical exam. He failed the physical exam because of his colorblindness. The committee almost didn't let him into the graduate program for chemistry (colors can matter in chemistry). They eventually did, however. The main problem he has is using the spectrophotometer, he just needs to know the wavelengths of the colors.

what is spectrophotometer ? so its not a problem ?

Well, he got through the program obviously and received his PhD. So, yes it has been done. It's not optimal, but doable. It's probably a minor setback at best, since most PhD programs don't make their students take a physical examination I suppose.

What is colorblindness?

Colorblindness, also known as color vision deficiency, is a condition in which a person is unable to distinguish between certain colors. This can be caused by genetic factors or certain eye diseases.

How common is colorblindness?

Colorblindness affects approximately 8% of males and 0.5% of females worldwide. It is more prevalent in males because the genes responsible for color vision are located on the X chromosome, of which males only have one copy.

Can colorblind people attend college?

Yes, colorblind individuals can attend college just like anyone else. Colorblindness does not affect one's intelligence or ability to learn. However, some colleges may require students to pass a color vision test for certain majors or professions that require color discrimination.

What accommodations are available for colorblind college students?

Some possible accommodations for colorblind college students may include providing colorblind-friendly materials or using alternative methods for presenting information, such as verbal descriptions or written notes. Students may also request extra time for tasks that require color differentiation or the use of color-correcting glasses.

Are there any majors or professions that are not suitable for colorblind individuals?

There are certain careers that may not be ideal for colorblind individuals, such as those in graphic design, fashion, or the military. However, with accommodations and advancements in technology, many colorblind individuals are able to succeed in these fields. It is important for individuals to research the specific requirements of their chosen major or profession to determine if color vision is necessary.