What is the coloring in Powerade?

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
In summary: There was another discussion some time ago on the types of claims made in these "popular" books on the subject. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=80549However, there is this new article that both reiterates that aspartame alone is really not a concern, but raises the new question of whether it has a different effect in combination with other food additives. Toxicol Sci. 2006 Mar;90(1):178-87. Epub 2005 Dec 13.Synergistic interactions between commonly used food additives in a developmental neurotoxicity test.Lau K, McLean WG, Williams DP, Howard CV.
Line
I want to know something about Powerade. Can you drink so much of it that your bodily waste turns that color.

A couple days I drink about 5 bottles of Green Powerade a day. The same day my stool turned Green. Not only that, so did my urine. I know it sounds funny but is that supposed to happen?

Biology news on Phys.org
Do yourself a favor and don't drink Powerade period.

As far as I know the colorings (aka toxins) in Powerade are just filtered out of your body, hence why your urine/stool is green. Things like beta carotene stay in your body have have the potential to turn your skin orange (I'm not sure if it's actually beta carotene or if is converted into Vitamin A or what.)

Last edited:
Don't drink Powerade...why not?

If it's not natural, and your body has to work to excrete it, you are taking chances. Eat real food, not crap.

You'd be better off makeing your own "sport drink". My sister just sent me this one to post.

mix 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt with 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
add 1/2 cup of boiling water, mix well. add 2 cups of natural orange juice, or grape juice, and a pint of water. Pour into your recycled, washed powerade bottles and enjoy!

Last edited:
hypatia said:
You'd be better off makeing your own "sport drink". My sister just sent me this one to post.

mix 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt with 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
add 1/2 cup of boiling water, mix well. add 2 cups of natural orange juice, or grape juice, and a pint of water. Pour into your recycled, washed powerade bottles and enjoy!

Along with colour additives, its a good idea to avoid aspartame laced drinks and foods:

Here's a published medical account of the neurotoxic effects of this and other "sweetener" additives by a Dr. H. J. Roberts :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884243177/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Here's a history about aspartame/nutrasweat etc... it may be fiction but, amazingly, every point is verafiable:

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sep...te_when_donald_rumsfeld_was_ceo_of_searle.htm

Since when does Powerade contain aspartame?

quantumcarl said:
Along with colour additives, its a good idea to avoid aspartame laced drinks and foods:

Here's a published medical account of the neurotoxic effects of this and other "sweetener" additives by a Dr. H. J. Roberts :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884243177/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Here's a history about aspartame/nutrasweat etc... it may be fiction but, amazingly, every point is verafiable:

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sep...te_when_donald_rumsfeld_was_ceo_of_searle.htm
There was another discussion some time ago on the types of claims made in these "popular" books on the subject. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=80549

However, there is this new article that both reiterates that aspartame alone is really not a concern, but raises the new question of whether it has a different effect in combination with other food additives.

Toxicol Sci. 2006 Mar;90(1):178-87. Epub 2005 Dec 13.

Synergistic interactions between commonly used food additives in a developmental neurotoxicity test.

Lau K, McLean WG, Williams DP, Howard CV.

Developmental Toxicopathology Unit, Department of Human Anatomy & Cell Biology, University of Liverpool, Sherrington Buildings, Liverpool L69 3GE, UK. karen.lau@liverpool.ac.uk

Exposure to non-nutritional food additives during the critical development window has been implicated in the induction and severity of behavioral disorders such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Although the use of single food additives at their regulated concentrations is believed to be relatively safe in terms of neuronal development, their combined effects remain unclear. We therefore examined the neurotoxic effects of four common food additives in combinations of two (Brilliant Blue and L-glutamic acid, Quinoline Yellow and aspartame) to assess potential interactions. Mouse NB2a neuroblastoma cells were induced to differentiate and grow neurites in the presence of additives. After 24 h, cells were fixed and stained and neurite length measured by light microscopy with computerized image analysis. Neurotoxicity was measured as an inhibition of neurite outgrowth. Two independent models were used to analyze combination effects: effect additivity and dose additivity. Significant synergy was observed between combinations of Brilliant Blue with L-glutamic acid, and Quinoline Yellow with aspartame, in both models. Involvement of N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors in food additive-induced neurite inhibition was assessed with a NMDA antagonist, CNS-1102. L-glutamic acid- and aspartame-induced neurotoxicity was reduced in the presence of CNS-1102; however, the antagonist did not prevent food color-induced neurotoxicity. Theoretical exposure to additives was calculated based on analysis of content in foodstuff, and estimated percentage absorption from the gut. Inhibition of neurite outgrowth was found at concentrations of additives theoretically achievable in plasma by ingestion of a typical snack and drink. In addition, Trypan Blue dye exclusion was used to evaluate the cellular toxicity of food additives on cell viability of NB2a cells; both combinations had a straightforward additive effect on cytotoxicity. These data have implications for the cellular effects of common chemical entities ingested individually and in combination.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=16352620&query_hl=6&itool=pubmed_docsum

Of course, it is an in vitro study, and there's no guarantee the outcome is similar to what happens in vivo. See DocToxyn's caution about interpreting toxicological studies in the thread I linked to above.

However, I don't see what this has to do with Powerade or sports drinks, as they generally do not include artificial sweeteners, but real sugar as an energy source.

Moonbear said:
There was another discussion some time ago on the types of claims made in these "popular" books on the subject. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=80549

However, there is this new article that both reiterates that aspartame alone is really not a concern, but raises the new question of whether it has a different effect in combination with other food additives.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=16352620&query_hl=6&itool=pubmed_docsum

Of course, it is an in vitro study, and there's no guarantee the outcome is similar to what happens in vivo. See DocToxyn's caution about interpreting toxicological studies in the thread I linked to above.

However, I don't see what this has to do with Powerade or sports drinks, as they generally do not include artificial sweeteners, but real sugar as an energy source.

My apologies for stepping outside the boundaries of this thread. I am fairly sure there are sports drinks with aspartame, matol and other artificial "sweeteners" in them. Every major soft drink has a "non-sweetened" counterpart, so, I can't believe there isn't a similar campaign with poweraids and gadoraids.

I also understand that caffeine is a staple ingredient in most of the soft drinks south of our mutual boarder. Its even in Mountaindoo. This was flabbergasting to me since I used to trust Mountaindoo to deliver nothing but a nice sugar rush and a good taste. Now I don't support any of these companies... well, unless you count a peepsi slushee. Peepsi proudly defends its use of caffeine as it is a remnant of the recipe peepsee reverse-engineered from coke, the original cola.

On this side of the boarder gas stations and supermarkets offer nothing but aspertame gums, just for your info. I've taken to ripping open my vintage baseball card packages for the great gum in those. (not really)

What would the point be of a non-sweetened or artificially sweetened sports drink? It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell a sports drink without sugar, since the point is to quickly replenish sugar and electrolytes (salts) lost during exercise. They aren't meant for the same purpose as soft drinks, which really have no purpose other than to tickle our taste buds.

Moonbear said:
What would the point be of a non-sweetened or artificially sweetened sports drink? It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell a sports drink without sugar, since the point is to quickly replenish sugar and electrolytes (salts) lost during exercise. They aren't meant for the same purpose as soft drinks, which really have no purpose other than to tickle our taste buds.
Where did you get the idea that marketing makes any sense :yuck:

Who are you and what have you done with Moonbear:rofl:

I have never seen sports drinks that are sugar free. There are several energy drinks that are..like Red Bull. And only people without any common sense would drink a energy drink after a full work out.

hypatia said:
I have never seen sports drinks that are sugar free. There are several energy drinks that are..like Red Bull. And only people without any common sense would drink a energy drink after a full work out.
Don't know personally, since I'm a really really bad consumer.
but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_drink
"This market shift has led some sports drinks manufacturers to specifically target and develop products aimed at non-athletes, such as low-sodium or low-calorie sports drinks."

Hmmm lol...I'll have two double cheeseburgers, XL frys..and a diet sports drink? Jeez, I can almost see it happening...

Tho a lower in sodium one, cause many people who walk/jog for there heart, are also on lower salt diets, makes sense.

Last edited:

What is the Coloring in Powerade?

Powerade is a popular sports drink known for its vibrant and appealing colors. The coloring of Powerade is achieved using food colorants. Let's delve into some common questions about the coloring in Powerade:

Q1: What Gives Powerade Its Distinctive Colors?

The distinctive colors of Powerade are achieved through the use of food colorants or food dyes. These colorants are added to the drink to give it its characteristic appearance. Different flavors of Powerade may have different colors, and the specific colorants used can vary.

Q2: Are the Colorants in Powerade Safe to Consume?

Yes, the colorants used in Powerade and other food and beverage products are generally considered safe for consumption when used within established regulatory limits. Regulatory agencies, such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), set guidelines and safety standards for food additives, including food colorants.

Q3: What Are Some Common Food Colorants Used in Powerade?

Powerade may use a variety of food colorants to achieve its colors. Some common food colorants used in the food and beverage industry include:

• Red 40: A widely used red food dye.
  • Blue 1: Used to create shades of blue and green.
  • Yellow 5 and Yellow 6: Used to create yellow and orange hues.
  • Caramel Color: Used for brown coloring, often in cola-flavored beverages.

Q4: Can the Coloring in Powerade Affect Flavor?

The coloring in Powerade is primarily used for aesthetic purposes and does not significantly affect the flavor of the drink. The flavor of Powerade is primarily determined by its ingredients, such as flavorings, sweeteners, and electrolytes.

Q5: Are There Any Health Concerns Related to Food Colorants in Powerade?

Food colorants used in Powerade and other food and beverage products are subject to rigorous safety evaluations by regulatory agencies. When used within established limits, they are considered safe for most individuals. However, some individuals may be sensitive to certain food colorants, and there have been occasional reports of allergic reactions or sensitivity. If you have concerns about food colorants, you can choose products that do not contain them or consult with a healthcare professional.

In summary, the coloring in Powerade is achieved using food colorants, and it is primarily used for visual appeal. These colorants are generally safe for consumption when used within regulatory limits. They do not significantly impact the flavor of the drink, which is determined by other ingredients.