Colors and Layout Issues in PF

• Thread starter Manuel_Silvio
  • Start date
In summary, Silvo is saying that the layout on the forum has changed, and some elements on the PF pages are out of place. He also mentions that font in the reply box was nicer and the reply box was smaller but fit better into the layout. He also says that flat style buttons are much better if available. Finally, he mentions that the essence of PF lives on even if the layout changes.
Manuel_Silvio
Hi there,

I've got problems with colors and layout. And something of my personal preference...

1. Until now, 1:10 AM March 24th 2003, the forum links were all blue and highlighted on mouse hover but today they're all black and no more highlight.

2. Some elements on PF pages are out of place when viewed with my browser, IE 6 (no SP1). There is a grey border around the used part of the page. On the upper-right corner the border ends without going the rest of its path up to embrace PF logo and that other blue-purple image. The PF logo also is a few pixels apart from that image and I can see the background white space between them. Up there, on the control row (user cp, register, ...) there is a similar gap between row elements. A few upper rows of the blue-purple image are shifted toward left while a few lower rows that neighbor the "search" item on control row are shifted toward right. And the blue-purple image, I really can't interpret it in any good words, it seems like a purple wheel on the upper-right side with a re-colored background from a Super Nova or another explosion; what is it after all?

3. It seems like the default layout has been changed intentionally. As a matter of taste, I preferred the previous one. The font in reply box was nicer. The reply box was smaller but fit better into the layout. The grey background on reply box had a good effect on me and now it's all gone.

4. Also flat style buttons are much better if available. A font with a larger average height/width ratio in the reply box would also look much better.

Regardless of layout, what lives on is the essence of PF! All the PFness of this place! And all its PFy member and PFy Admin! Hail!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am using Opera 6 and nothing has changed for me. Can anyone else confirm what Silvo is saying? Silvo try updating your browser.

I tested Opera v6.05 build 1140 and layout problems still persist.

Don't you, for example, experience that upper-rows-left-shift on the blue-purple image? Perhaps I'm interpreting something that has been designed that way as something going wrong.

Here is a screenshot; there are rectangles aroung things I interpret as layout problems.

http://cognita.ionichost.com/ResLinker.html

PS: The ResLinker is meant to bypass CoolFreePages' bandwidth theft protection.

Attachments

• scshot.jpg
    scshot.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 551
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some common color and layout issues in PF?

Some common color and layout issues in PF include inconsistent use of colors, poor contrast between text and background, improper font sizes, and unbalanced layout.

2. How can I ensure consistency in color usage in PF?

To ensure consistency in color usage, it is important to establish a color palette and stick to it throughout the entire project. This will help create a cohesive and professional look.

3. What is the recommended contrast ratio for text and background in PF?

The recommended contrast ratio for text and background in PF is at least 4.5:1 for small text and 3:1 for large text. This ensures readability for all users, including those with visual impairments.

4. What are some best practices for font sizes in PF?

Some best practices for font sizes in PF include using a font size of at least 16px for body text, avoiding using too many different font sizes, and using a font hierarchy to guide the reader's eye.

5. How can I create a balanced layout in PF?

To create a balanced layout, it is important to use white space effectively, consider the visual weight of different elements, and maintain consistency in spacing and alignment throughout the design.