1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Colour change in light

1. Jul 12, 2017 #1
    Colour is defined by frequency/wavelength. Hence whenever they both change, we are to observe a change in colour. But that isn't the case for campton scattering. Or is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I assume you mean Compton, and why wouldn't it be? Light is light, no matter how it was produced.

4. Jul 12, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

not really
    colour is a very visual / personal perspective thing ... that is 2 people with different eyesight could see the same freq/wavelength as different colours

V50 answered the rest

5. Jul 14, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a question with two parts.
    Perception: Most 'colours' we perceive are made up of a number of different wavelengths. Our eyes are pretty lousy spectrometers - because that would give us no evolutionary advantage and there are no naturally occurring monochromatic sources that ancient humans would (want to) see.
    Our perception of colour change is not particularly acute. A just noticeable difference is in the order of 1% change in chromaticity. Any method of producing a 1% change for comparing with an unchanged reference colour would, presumably be detected by an observer under 'reasonable viewing conditions.

Generation: It is difficult to produce big changes of frequency of a beam of light. Have you found out what sort of percentage frequency change that Compton scattering can produce? In my cursory search on Google, I could only find actual figures for higher energies than optical photons. I am sure some PF member will have a better clue about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted