What is the purpose of vibrant colors in deep-sea creatures?

• Thread starter Medicago
  • Start date
In summary: Why would pigmentation develop in the first place? Perhaps they are late-comers to the deepsea vents, and haven't shed their colors yet?Without having an example, it is hard to know what we are talking about. It could even be the case that organisms from the top-layer of the ocean adapted to living in the depths.
Medicago
I have recently been to an exhibition of deep-sea life, some of the exhibited life forms live thousands of meters under the surface where sunlight does not penetrate, it is therefore that they rely entirely on geothermal vents as a source of energy, they have never been exposed to direct sunlight and neither, I suppose, did their ancestors. Looking at these creatures I couldn't help notice that, while some of them are entirely transparent and others are a bland shade of white or grey, as you'd expect in a light-less environment, there are a great number of richly coloured anemones and crabs. What is the purpose of this colour if there is barely any light to show it? Why would pigmentation develop in the first place?

Biology news on Phys.org
Perhaps they are late-comers to the deepsea vents, and haven't shed their colours yet?

Interesting question, BTW

Could be their colors are random, after all, each substance interacts with a light this way or another. For example hemoglobin isn't red for a purpose, its color is completely accidental.

Medicago said:
... there are a great number of richly coloured anemones and crabs. What is the purpose of this colour if there is barely any light to show it? Why would pigmentation develop in the first place?

What kind of color ? Is it luminance like light producing creatures or pigmentation of skin ?
Do these still have eyes ?

I guess Medicago refers to pigmentation.

For some reason I have missed this phrase earlier:

Medicago said:
some of them are entirely transparent and others are a bland shade of white or grey, as you'd expect in a light-less environment

Can you elaborate? Why do you think in a light-less environment any color should be preferred over others?

Borek said:
I guess Medicago refers to pigmentation.

could you elaborate ? What is medicago ?

OP. That is, Original Poster. Person who started the thread.

Without having an example, it is hard to know what we are talking about. It could even be the case that organisms from the top-layer of the ocean adapted to living in the depths.

Borek said:
OP. That is, Original Poster. Person who started the thread.

i got confused, I thought you were referring to some term . Forgot the OP was medicago.

Monique said:
Without having an example, it is hard to know what we are talking about. It could even be the case that organisms from the top-layer of the ocean adapted to living in the depths.
*Slap on monique's wrist for not crediting me with that idea. I was FIRSTEST!* :mad:

Oh, is that what you meant. And be careful with the slapping, I might slap back :devil:

My first post had a particularly poignant quality of clarity requiring a fine intellect to discern.

I will be more blunt&limpwristed in the future. :smile:

arildno said:
My first post had a particularly poignant quality of clarity requiring a fine intellect to discern.
If you say so :rolleyes:
It appears that you haven't shed your colors yet either :rofl:

Monique said:
It appears that you haven't shed your colors yet either :rofl:
Actually, as the years go by, I'm acquiring new colours, rather than shedding them, for example a nice yellowing of my fingertips. :smile:

Monique said:

schizoid said:
What kind of color ? Is it luminance like light producing creatures or pigmentation of skin ?
Do these still have eyes ?

No, it's not luminescent fish, specifically, I am referring to an Anemone with a red 'top', if you will, that lives exclusively around geothermal vents. Why would anything replace the sun for a geothermal vent over the course of evolution? I doubt it made it's way down from the surface.

Borek said:
Could be their colors are random, after all, each substance interacts with a light this way or another. For example hemoglobin isn't red for a purpose, its color is completely accidental.

I gave this some thought, it seems plausible, although sometimes the patterns and colours looked as if they serve/served some purpose at some point.

1. What adaptations do colourful deep sea creatures have to survive in their environment?

Colourful deep sea creatures have evolved various adaptations to survive in the dark, cold, and high-pressure environment of the deep sea. Many have bioluminescent organs that emit light to attract prey or communicate with other animals. Others have reflective scales or pigments that help them blend in with their surroundings or protect them from predators. Some deep sea creatures also have enlarged eyes to capture as much light as possible in the dimly lit ocean depths.

2. Why do some deep sea creatures have such vibrant and unusual colors?

The vibrant and unusual colors seen in deep sea creatures serve a variety of purposes. Some use their bright colors to warn predators of their toxicity, while others use it to attract potential mates. Many deep sea creatures have bioluminescent organs that produce light in a variety of colors, which they use for communication, camouflage, or to lure prey.

3. Are there any practical applications for the unique colors found in deep sea creatures?

Yes, the unique colors found in deep sea creatures have inspired scientists to develop new technologies and materials. For example, the iridescent scales of some deep sea fish have inspired the creation of reflective coatings for clothing and vehicles. Additionally, the bioluminescent properties of some deep sea creatures have been studied for potential uses in medical imaging and pollution detection.

4. How do deep sea creatures produce light?

Deep sea creatures have specialized organs called photophores that contain bioluminescent bacteria or enzymes. When these organisms come into contact with oxygen, a chemical reaction occurs, producing light. Some deep sea creatures also have reflective structures or pigments that enhance the light produced by these organs.

5. How do deep sea creatures survive in such extreme environments?

Deep sea creatures have evolved a variety of adaptations to survive in the extreme conditions of the deep sea. These include bioluminescence, reflective scales and pigments, and enlarged eyes. Additionally, many deep sea creatures have slow metabolisms and can go extended periods without food, and some have specialized organs to help them regulate their buoyancy and withstand the high pressure of the deep sea. Overall, these adaptations allow deep sea creatures to thrive in a harsh and often unpredictable environment.