Help Jitendra Attack a 3-D Coloring Problem

• Thread starter AlbertEinstein
  • Start date
In summary, The problem at hand involves assigning three colors to every point in 3-D space and determining certain conclusions based on this. These conclusions include the existence of a right triangle with three vertices of the same color, an equilateral triangle with all vertices of the same color, infinitely many such triangles in any region of space, a monochromatic line, and a monochromatic circle. The problem is related to the denumerability of real numbers, but there are no advanced math tricks to help solve it. One must carefully think through the problem and try to prove the first conclusion in the case of 2D space. Some hints may be needed to guide the thought process.
AlbertEinstein
Hi everybody, I am unable to tackle this problem, and don't know how to attack it. can someone please help me how to attack the following problem.

Q. Suppose colour every point in 3-D space is assigned one of the three colours- red,green,blue.Can i conclude the following?:

1)there must exist a right triangle which has three of the vertices of same colour.

2)there must exist an equilateral triangle which has all its vertices of same colour.

3)the problems 1 and 2 with the additional fact that there exist infinitely many such in any region of space.

4)there must exist a monochromatic line.

5)there must exist a monochromatic circle.

please give some hints.
thank you.
Jitendra

Physics news on Phys.org
Show some work! What do you think?

I don't know how to approach it...but know that it is based on the concept of denumerability of real numbers. I don't want complete help but just few hints so that i can do it myself.please help.

thanks

AlbertEinstein said:
I don't know how to approach it...but know that it is based on the concept of denumerability of real numbers. I don't want complete help but just few hints so that i can do it myself.please help.

thanks

The real numbers aren't denumerable though. That is they are not countable, or there exists no bijection between the reals and the natural numbers.

I don't think there are any advanced math tricks that'll help you. You just need to think it through for a while. To get you started, the first one is true if the space is 2D. Can you prove this?

1. What is a 3-D coloring problem?

A 3-D coloring problem is a mathematical problem that involves assigning colors to the faces of a 3-dimensional shape, such as a cube, in such a way that no two adjacent faces have the same color.

2. Who is Jitendra and why does he need help with this problem?

Jitendra is an imaginary character used in this problem. He represents someone who is trying to solve the 3-D coloring problem and needs help from others in finding a solution.

3. What is the significance of solving this problem?

Solving this problem has practical applications in areas such as computer graphics and map coloring. It also helps in understanding the concept of graph coloring, which has many real-world applications.

4. What are some techniques used to solve a 3-D coloring problem?

Some techniques used to solve a 3-D coloring problem include graph theory, combinatorics, and computational algorithms. Other strategies involve finding symmetries and patterns within the shape to make the coloring process easier.

5. Is the 3-D coloring problem a solved problem?

No, the 3-D coloring problem is still an active area of research and has not been completely solved. While there are known solutions for some specific shapes, finding a general solution for all 3-dimensional shapes remains an open problem.