How many ways can a cube be painted with distinct colors?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the number of different colourings of a cube that has six different colors. The answer is 30.
Saitama

Homework Statement

I was asked this question by my friend, unable to do it I did a google search. Here's the question:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/64857/painting-the-faces-of-a-cube-with-distinct-colours

I am quoting the question and the answer posted at stackexchange:
Question said:
If I had a cube and six colours, and painted each side a different colour, how many (different) ways could I paint the cube? What about if I had n colours instead of 6?

Answer said:
A cube can be rotated into 6×4=24 configurations (i.e. the red face can be anyone of the 6, and then there are 4 ways to rotate it that keep that face red), so the number of different colourings (counting rotations, but not mirror reflections, as the same) is 6!/24=30.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need some help in understanding the solution. The first post (answer) in that link finds out the number of configurations. Doesn't these configurations depend on the colour of the face which is just opposite to the red coloured face? I can't even understand the step the poster has done next. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:
Pranav-Arora said:
The first post (answer) in that link finds out the number of configurations.

No, at least not the number of different configurations that the question asks for.

The first post finds the number of same configurations, ie the number that can be the same as each other (24) …

there are 6! ways of colouring 6 objects,

but on a cube each way is "duplicated" 24 times, so there must be 6!/24 cubely-different ways. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
The first post finds the number of same configurations, ie the number that can be the same as each other (24) …

I still don't get it, for example if I fix red and blue colour on the top and the bottom face respectively, I have 24 ways to colour the side walls but they are all same. Similarly I can go about fixing two other colours on both the sides i.e there are 6C2=15 ways to select two colours and 15 different ways to colour the six walls. But as stated above, the answer is 30, where am I wrong? :confused:

Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:
Pranav-Arora said:
… if I fix red and blue colour on the top and the bottom face respectively, I have 24 ways to colour the side walls but they are all same. Similarly I can go about fixing two other colours on both the sides i.e there are 6C2=15 ways to select two colours and 15 different ways to colour the six walls.

No, do it this way:

first, colour the whole cube

(these colours will remain fixed … all we now do is rotate the cube)

red can be in 6 positions

now there are only 4 positions for the rest of the cube (rotating about the axis through the red face) …

total 24 positions for the same configuration :wink:

tiny-tim said:
now there are only 4 positions for the rest of the cube (rotating about the axis through the red face) …

I am stuck at this one.

One of the face is coloured red. We are left with 5 colours now. We paint the side walls with 4 out of these 5 colours, let the colours on the side walls be green, blue, yellow and black. There are four same configurations. Let the 6th colour be white. Interchanging green with white, I get more 4 same configurations. Interchanging more colours, there are 20 same configurations for a single position of red. :confused:

I hope you understand what I am trying to convey.

Pranav-Arora said:
One of the face is coloured red. We are left with 5 colours now. We paint the side walls with 4 out of these 5 colours, let the colours on the side walls be green, blue, yellow and black. There are four same configurations. Let the 6th colour be white. Interchanging green with white, I get more 4 same configurations. Interchanging more colours, there are 20 same configurations for a single position of red. :confused:

No, you're counting (wrongly) the number of different colourings …

the position of the first colour (say, red) doesn't matter, then you have 5 choices for the opposite colour, the position of the third colour doesn't matter, and there are 6 ways of arrangeing the last three colours

total different ways = 5*6 = 30.​

The stackexchange method was to count the number of orientations for the same colouring, result 24, and then divide 6! by 24 to get 30. :smile:

Sorry for the late reply.

tiny-tim said:

the position of the first colour (say, red) doesn't matter, then you have 5 choices for the opposite colour, the position of the third colour doesn't matter, and there are 6 ways of arrangeing the last three colours

total different ways = 5*6 = 30.​

Thanks a lot tiny-tim, I understand it now. :cool:

What is the purpose of colouring faces of a cube?

The purpose of colouring faces of a cube is to add visual interest and make the cube more visually appealing. It can also be used to differentiate between different sides of the cube or to create patterns and designs.

What types of colours are used for colouring faces of a cube?

Any type of colour can be used for colouring faces of a cube, including primary colours, secondary colours, and even shades of gray or black. It ultimately depends on the desired effect and design of the cube.

How is the colouring process of a cube done?

The colouring process of a cube can be done using various methods, such as painting, using markers or coloured pencils, or using stickers or decals. It is important to ensure that the colours are evenly distributed and that the cube is allowed to dry completely before handling.

What are the benefits of colouring faces of a cube?

Besides adding visual interest, colouring faces of a cube can also help develop cognitive skills such as spatial awareness, problem-solving, and creativity. It can also serve as a therapeutic activity for both children and adults.

Can the colours on a cube be changed?

Yes, the colours on a cube can be changed by using different methods such as erasing or painting over existing colours, or by replacing stickers or decals. This allows for endless possibilities and designs when it comes to colouring a cube.