Colpitts Oscillator: How Does Vcc Charge the Tank Circuit?

• Thread starter logearav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillator
In summary, the conversation is about how capacitors block DC current but can still get charged by a DC source. The participants discuss the concept of capacitance and how charges are distributed among capacitors in a series circuit. They also reference an external source for further explanation.
logearav

Homework Statement

http://www.circuitstoday.com/colpitts-oscillator

Homework Equations

Dear Members,
Kindly go through this link. I read Capacitors block DC then how can the supply voltage Vcc
which is essentially DC can charge the capacitors of the tank circuit? Kindly help members

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The capacitor blocks current when it is charged to the equilibrium voltage, but it gets charged. Also, when two capacitors are connected in series to a voltage source, both of them get charged.

ehild

i don't understand sir

logearav said:
I read Capacitors block DC then how can the supply voltage Vcc
which is essentially DC can charge the capacitors of the tank circuit?

See attached figure. Will the capacitor C2 get charged? What is the charge on each capacitor if C1=2 μF , C2=3 μF and C3=3 μF, and E=10 V if the voltage source has been connected for a long time?

ehild

Attachments

• sercap.JPG
    sercap.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 362
Sir,
According to the formula q = c/v the charge stored in c1 = 20 micro farad and for c2 and c3 it is 30 micro farad

Capacitance is charge over voltage, so the charge is q=CV. And the charge is the same on all capacitors, the resultant capacitance multiplied by the voltage of the source.
Anyway, the capacitor is charged by the DC source, does not it?

ehild

sir, how can we say charge is same on all the capacitors. because q = cv, so c1 has 20 micro coulomb and c2, c3 has 30 micro coulomb charge.
But when the capacitors are connected in series, charges are same. i am confused though i got the concept of capacitors are charged by DC

I got it now sir. Thanks a lot for your link and detailed explanation.

1. How does Vcc charge the tank circuit?

Vcc is connected to the tank circuit through a resistor and capacitor. When Vcc is turned on, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as Vcc. This charged capacitor then supplies the necessary voltage for the tank circuit to oscillate.

2. What is the purpose of Vcc in a Colpitts oscillator?

Vcc is the power supply for the oscillator circuit. It provides the necessary voltage for the components to function and generates the oscillation in the tank circuit.

3. Can the value of Vcc affect the frequency of the oscillations in a Colpitts oscillator?

Yes, the frequency of the oscillations is directly proportional to the value of Vcc. Increasing Vcc will result in an increase in frequency, while decreasing Vcc will result in a decrease in frequency.

4. How does the tank circuit in a Colpitts oscillator work?

The tank circuit consists of an inductor and two capacitors connected in a parallel configuration. The inductor and capacitors work together to store and release energy, creating the oscillations necessary for the oscillator to function.

5. What is the role of the feedback network in a Colpitts oscillator?

The feedback network in a Colpitts oscillator is responsible for providing positive feedback to the tank circuit. This feedback is necessary to sustain the oscillations in the circuit and maintain a constant frequency.